Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

22lr IS IT WORTH THE TROUBLE?

9245 Views 122 Replies 61 Participants Last post by  Porkbelly
l sat down and weighed out 800 rounds of Federal 800 bulk ammo 1200 fps it's the same stuff as Fed. auto match Fed.510, so it's off to the range it's 12 miles from my house, 48* winds around 3 mph.

Rifle CZ455 with GM SS barrel custom made by an RFC member, l bough it about a year ago l didn't put much range time with it, it good with Federal ammo .250 to .375 at 25 yards, l can't afford good ammo with the amount of shooting l do when l get to the range.
This is the specification on the barrel, from what l know he will buy 6 SS rifle blanks from GM and do all the work himself, this is what was done to the barrel l bought.

Off to the range, l will post results l have an hour to shoot once l get there. Tomorrow rain 18 mph winds rest of the week is not much better.
Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Paper
Rectangle Handwriting Font Parallel Number
Food Ingredient Metal Cuisine Electric blue
See less
l sat down and weighed out 800 rounds of Federal 800 bulk ammo 1200 fps it's the same stuff as Fed. auto match Fed.510, so it's off to the range it's 12 miles from my house, 48* winds around 3 mph.

Rifle CZ455 with GM SS barrel custom made by an RFC member, l bough it about a year ago l didn't put much range time with it, it good with Federal ammo .250 to .375 at 25 yards, l can't afford good ammo with the amount of shooting l do when l get to the range.
This is the specification on the...
See more
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Very nice project and like all of the stats but do not know how significant some of them are. If you can afford to bring in a few boxes of CCI SV, I would consider them to be a good baseline test for the less expensive ammos. I keep a couple of bricks on hand that have shot well in most rimfires to run a test when things are not going so well. You should not need to sort them to get good results.

· Administrator & Consigliere
13,621 Posts
Your barrel was specifically chambered for Eley ammo. Not saying your testing isn't worthwhile, but I seriously doubt anything in the Federal bulk arsenal will give you performance approaching what the barrel maker achieved with Eley, Lapua, and even lower priced SK. In fact, his best group looks like SK STD+, which is relatively inexpensive.
Unfortunately, when chasing accuracy in rimfire, I've found that I often have to feed my rigs on a higher octane diet. Federal is for my kids to burn on plinking.

I'm interested in seeing what your testing shows

Drg

· Registered
2,254 Posts
Reading anecdotal accounts I've always considered weighing, rim measuring, etc... to be a waste of time- especially compared to just buying better ammo. However, I'll be curious to see what your results are. I think you should also use a certain amount of unweighed rounds from the same batch to test your results against a baseline... just to keep it honest

· Registered
1,007 Posts
That's something I've never understood about people who want to shoot "precision" rifle.

They will buy a REALLY expensive rifle and then want to go cheap on the glass or the ammo. Makes no sense. When you buy a precision rifle- it takes precision ammo to shoot to potential. You are ALWAYS going to spend more on ammo than you do on the gun- and even the glass- Combined... ammo is a consumable. I've shot out TWO 6.5 Creedmoor barrels so far- they cost me about $500 apiece to replace with premium barrels. Take a guess at how much the AMMO that burned them out cost me? Not even close....Like 6-7 TIMES the amount needed to replace the barrel....The brass ALONE was $1 a round!

· Premium Member
79 Posts
That's something I've never understood about people who want to shoot "precision" rifle.

They will buy a REALLY expensive rifle and then want to go cheap on the glass or the ammo. Makes no sense. When you buy a precision rifle- it takes precision ammo to shoot to potential. You are ALWAYS going to spend more on ammo than you do on the gun- and even the glass- Combined... ammo is a consumable. I've shot out TWO 6.5 Creedmoor barrels so far- they cost me about $500 apiece to replace with premium barrels. Take a guess at how much the AMMO that burned them out cost me? Not even close....Like 6-7 TIMES the amount needed to replace the barrel....The brass ALONE was $1 a round!

· Registered
398 Posts
Shoot plinking ammo in a plinking rifle. Shoot match ammo in a match rifle. What you are proposing is like buying a Ferrari and putting cheap low octane gas in it. Weighing ammo is a waste of time and won't turn bulk ammo into match ammo. If you can't afford match ammo, you can't afford to get into any precision rifle games and you just wasted money on a match barrel. Also, those series of groups mean nothing unless they were shot by an expert shooter shooting over wind flags.

· Registered
37 Posts
First of all, I don't own a high end 22 rifle, but it gets the job done. I don't have a high end scope to mount on my non high in 22 rifle, it's cheap, but gets the job done. Also, I shoot cheap ammo in my non high end 22 rifle..
Would I like to own a high end 22 rifle ? No, I like cheap used stuff, stuff that I know will get the job done. My 22 is like an ugly girl, she's rough around the edges, but that girl can rock, she gets the job done.. She may not appeal to some, but I love her just the way she is..

· Registered
681 Posts
I will be watching to see your results. I am curious to see if you get any better results then just shooting from the box. I have done the same thing you are doing and I cant say it helped or hurt just because even small swings in weather like temp and humidity seems to make my good stuff shoot mediocre and occasionally makes cheap stuff shoot great. There are just so many variables I have not been able to find a way to isolate just 1. An indoor range with temp and humidity control is my dream.
Not that it matters but every single shooter I know with a Vudoo, RimX, Bergara or CZ457 that shoots Lapua, Eley or RWS also brings a few boxes of Tac22, CCI SV or PMC to the range with them. You never know whats going to shoot that day until you try.

· Registered
6,565 Posts
If nothing else those rounds will break in the barrel and let you get used to how to dance with the rig; all trigger time is instructive. If you decide to just shoot and not weigh ammo thats ok too. There will always be better/different ammo to trial.
As said, have fun.

· Registered
368 Posts
As you are finding out with your post and replies....this is a subject that can anger people and elicit some harsh replies.

Don't let that discourage you. Do want you want and enjoy the process and soak in whatever result you find encounter.

Make sure to post what result you get.

Happy shooting!!
Stay the course, we are with you.
Forget the naysayers and enjoy your life.
Fritz

· Registered
398 Posts
I didn't say what I said to rain on anybody's parade but to encourage him to feed his rifle the ammo it deserves. I have high end rifles, including a world class benchrest rifle, and I own and shoot some fun plinkers. I feed the precision rifles match ammo (Eley and Lapua) and I feed my plinkers Fed Auto Match and similar bulk ammo. Shooting match ammo in my plinkers is a waste of good ammo. Shooting the Auto Match in my match rifles does not take advantage of the accuracy those rifles are capable of producing.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts