Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why are all .22lr barrels around 21 inches long? I heard on here that it reaches it's highest velocities at around 16.5 inches. Also i was thinking about buying a savage 64 FV for plinking. Does anyone know if this gun is any good? it looks kinda cheap. But if it shoots good that's all i care about.

TONY

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It's true that a barrel of around 16 inches produces the maximium velocity from a .22lr. But we expect more from our rifles than just velocity. In fact, if velocity were that important, we wouldn't be messing around with 22lrs to begin with.

Longer barrels "look" better to most folks, and I think that's a lot of the reason why manufacturers put longer barrels on their guns--and why we buy them. A longer barrel adds muzzle heft, making the rifle easier to hold steady from most positions. In the days of iron sights, longer barrels made accurate sighting much easier. Even with the scopes of today, most match shooters believe that longer barrels enhance accuracy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
A longer barrel will slow the bullet down some. If you're interested in accuracy you don't want the bullet starting off above the speed of sound and then dropping back under. The turbulence knocks it off line.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.