Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
It depends on what twist that barrel has in it as to how far is long range. The .223 barrels come in twist rates any where from a 1:7 to a 1:14. There is a lot of competitions out there where people are using military style weapons at 600yrds. Many are using AR-15's with a surprising accuracy at that distance with a .223. But what they have found, in order to shoot those distances with a .223 and maintain any accuracy you need the heavier bullets. And the heavier bullets require the faster twist of the 1:7 to 1:9 in order to stabilize that bigger bullet. I have a Colt Sporter Target model AR-15 with a 1:7 twist that I shoot at 300yrds all the time with the 69gr match grade ammo, with excellent accuracy. But if you have a slower twist barrel and have to shoot the lighter bullets your accuracy range isnt going to be all that far. Thats one of the biggest problems with the Ruger Mini 14, it has a 1:12 twist, and just hasnt proved to be very accurate.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I own 2 Remington 700 HB both with HS stocks for and 6.5 - 20X scopes in 223 both 1 in 12 barrels for varmint hunting. With 50 grain Hornady VMAX bullets and Bench Mark powder I get regular hits at up to around 275 yards or so on Stage Rats. Longest confirmed kill on these small critters with this set up is 448 yards. I usually go to a my highly accurate 22-250 normally also loaded with 50 VMAX bullets after 275 yards for best results. Where I shoot them in Eastern Oregon wind is a factor almost always. The 223 is a very nice round for varmint hunting but it does take good handloads to bring out the best in it as with most varmint rounds.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Dsking85, Do you load your own ammo for your AR? Ive loaded the 77gr for mine with no problem, but I tried the 80gr once and had trouble getting the OAL small enough to fit in the magizine.

I have a Remington 700 in .223, but mine now has a Shilen barrel on it with a 1:9 twist. The original 1:12 twist barrel was fine out to 250 to 300yrds as long as I stayed below a 55gr bullet. Now I load 69 and 77gr bullets for it and extended that range greatly, and improved the accuracy of it. With the original barrel 1.5" to 2" at 100yrds was the best I could get out of it. With the better quality and faster twist barrel it will now hold MOA or better. But my AR with the 1:7 twist shoots better then my Remington at the longer ranges.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ShootNut said:
Dsking85, Do you load your own ammo for your AR? Ive loaded the 77gr for mine with no problem, but I tried the 80gr once and had trouble getting the OAL small enough to fit in the magizine.

I have a Remington 700 in .223, but mine now has a Shilen barrel on it with a 1:9 twist. The original 1:12 twist barrel was fine out to 250 to 300yrds as long as I stayed below a 55gr bullet. Now I load 69 and 77gr bullets for it and extended that range greatly, and improved the accuracy of it. With the original barrel 1.5" to 2" at 100yrds was the best I could get out of it. With the better quality and faster twist barrel it will now hold MOA or better. But my AR with the 1:7 twist shoots better then my Remington at the longer ranges.
yes, the 82gr bullets ARE handloaded, and they DON'T fit in the magazine. it's a very, very long bullet. when we shoot at 600 yards, we load each bullet in the chamber individually.

·
Registered
31 Posts
with my 223 i shot a groundhog at 460yds with handloaded 50 grain v-max. it just dropped. if you are a good shot and there is little to no wind u can shoot as far as your comfortable at small stuff. coyotes and foxes i wouldnt push 400 probably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.