Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide performance info. on the H & R Ultra Varmint (SS1-822) in 22 WMR? I'm interested in its paper punching capacity at 100 yards (no hunting)? Would it require/respond to additional gunsmithing (e.g., trigger, action bedding, barrel floating)? Is it worth it to buy a Cooper, Brown, Anschutz for best 100 yard accuracy? How does it compare with say a CZ ZKM American? Opinions please.

·
Registered
325 Posts
NEF/CZ

I have a CZ 452 in .22 Magnum, and an H & R/NEF in the Sportster version .22 magnum, not the Ultra.

With both guns, I've been setting zero at 75 yards. I shoot Winchester 40 gr HP in the NEF, the 34 gr. Supremes in the CZ. The CZ seems to like those better.

At 75 yards, my NEF usually groups around 1" to 1 1/4". Has a cheap BSA scope on it.

With my CZ, I can usually hold it to under an inch if I'm shooting ok that day. :)

The triggers on both guns I feel are terrible. The NEF is pretty heavy and inconsistent. The CZ has a fair amount of creep and is a bit heavy for my taste.

H & R will do a free trigger job on it if you send it back to get another barrel fitted, like a .22 LR or the .17 HMR. I plan on adding a .22 LR. Cost you around $75 for another barrel. A plus in my opinion for the NEF.

I ordered Brookie's spring kit for the CZ, $9, to help out the CZ but I haven't installed it yet. I just ordered an adjustable sear from Brownell's for $66 for the CZ which I'm hoping will cure the trigger, then maybe I can shoot it a bit better.

I think for quality, looks, etc., the CZ can't be beat for the price. Really happy with mine and enjoy shooting it much more than the NEF.

I think for the $$, the NEF is tough to beat, but it doesn't shoot like the CZ. But for riding around in the truck, casual target shooting, it is a good option. I paid about $115 for mine in a local shop. CZ was about $350 with tax.

Hope this helps some. But if you can spend the extra $$, go with the CZ. You won't regret it. Once you get the trigger fixed. ;)

Joe

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can't speak to the nef, but my son has a CZ youth in .22 lr, and I've been looking through the CZ forum getting all the info I can for all the aproppriate accurizing mods...

Looks like a lot of the CZs have some problems with stocks touching the barrel, and need some barrel floating work (minor) my sons included. the trigger could use a little work (just a spring not like most other brands :t ) rifle has good accuracy right out of the box.. is a joy to shoot, and has an attractive stock..

I've got plenty of rimfires now, but.... I'm sure starting to want a CZ of my own. what a great value for the price. and all the fixes seem to be rather cheap as opposed to some of the other rifles on the market.

Definitely wander over to the CZ forum and do some snooping.

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.