Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a Volquartsen 22 WMR in a few months and I want to cover the gambit on what this gun will like to feed upon. Please list all the different ammos I should buy to break it in and see what it likes best. Also list what bullets to absolutely stay away from (like shotshells for instance ... :1t )

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Your VQ should not really need much of a break in. The barrel will be smooth as silk direct from the factory. Take special care to keep it that way. Invest in a patch worm from 22 concepts(RFC sponser) Do not scratch it with a sectional cleaning rod.

I would buy a box of each of these first.

Remington Premiers 33 grain V max
CCI Maxi Mag 40 grain HP
Winchester Supremes 34 grain HP
Winchester Super X 40 grain HP

There are many other choices. All 22WMR ammo is pretty decent except for the Winchester Dynapoints. Stay clear of the Dynapoints.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ladykiller-
There has to be at least 20 different loads for the .22 Mag ( i.e. bullet weight and design ). I'm getting ready to post an article from Guns&Ammo, Feb '04 written by Dan C. Johnson titled, "The Hunters Rimfire" that lists 16 different types. I'll have to get my wife ( the brain in the family ) to help me run it off on the copy machine in order to post the whole article including a picture chart of all bullet designs. Just to inform you, DO NOT discount ANY ammo until you've tried it in YOUR rifle. Don't prejudge any ammo because someone else said it sucked in their rifle........EVERY barrel has it's own preference in ammo, sometimes, note i'm saying sometimes even two of the same barrels produced by the same company can have different "taste buds".
Two other loads that i know of that are'nt on the list:

Armscor- 40gr JHP, produced in the Phillipines- Here in Crystal River, i can get these @ $4.25 a box of 50 which is a really nice price but, they did'nt do very well for me. I think bullet weight comes into play here, same iffy grouping as CCI 40gr.

Sellier&Bellot-45gr solid, produced in Czhech Republic- A local shop had two boxes @ $6.25 each so i picked up one box for testing, ( you can see my 25yd. test target on one of the Sellier&Bellot threads ) and i was fairly impressed as opposed to the CCI which i've been shooting all along. Once again, i think bullet weight comes into play. I think the twist rate of my barrel prefers heavier bullets. When i went back to get the other box it was gone and after they ordered more the price skyrocketed up to $9.00 a box so i bailed. Today i went to a different shop and bought a box of Federal 50gr JHP for testing hopefully this week if weather and scheduling permits.

Hope this gives you some insight, i'll try to post the G&A article tonight...Matt

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Twenty Two,

I use to live in Ocala and my sisters live down the road from Crystal River. The wife and I like to out on the gulf there at Crystal River and fish and dive for scallops. I like Indiana but I sure do miss Florida. :beerchug:

I am looking forward to reading the article you have to post.

·
Registered
80 Posts
bd- turns out if i post the article it'll be copyright infringement, don't need that. Besides that, down at the bottom of this in the posting rules it says i may not post attachments. Don't know why, a while back i posted a target i shot when experimenting with ammo. I wonder, if i emailed the article to you, would it still be considered infringement? Can anybody shed some light?

Also, which way do your sisters live, Homasassa or Inglis? Have'nt done any fishin since winter ( Feb,March & April ) when the snapper come into the top of the Homasassa River by the millions......mmm.....Matt

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ladykiller said:
I'm getting a Volquartsen 22 WMR in a few months and I want to cover the gambit on what this gun will like to feed upon. Please list all the different ammos I should buy to break it in and see what it likes best. Also list what bullets to absolutely stay away from (like shotshells for instance ... :1t )
The Winchester 45 grain dynaTURD.

Congrats on the new rifle btw.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You have to see what the gun likes. My Marlin hates anything Winchester, loves CCI. My new-to-me Ithaca 49 single-shot loves the Dynapoint Magnums! My Mossy 640KD hasn't found a load it likes yet.
Every gun is a law unto itself.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I will agree with what Chum advised. Rem 33gr Premeire, Winchester 34gr Supreme, or CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr in solid or HP.

The Winchester 40gr HP shoots all over the place for me. Some people (Chief) have very nice groups with TNT's. I can't seem to get them to shoot. The old Federeal Premiums with the 30gr Speer bullets shot really well, but that was replaced with the 30gr TNT bullet. I have tried it all in 3 different rifles and the first four mentioned at the top were always very consistent in all the rifles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.