Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several post of folks shooting shorts in their CZ. is this ok or will the excessive head space damage he gun? I live in a sub division and would like to use shorts to (scare) the local cats. If this will not damage my gun and is fairly accurate im golden.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
I've shot a few, maybe 30 or 50 and they were not very accurate. I think it's because the bullet has too far to go to get to the rifling.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
How 'bout a rock?

sdelam said:
I've seen several post of folks shooting shorts in their CZ. is this ok or will the excessive head space damage he gun? I live in a sub division and would like to use shorts to (scare) the local cats. If this will not damage my gun and is fairly accurate im golden.
I'd use Super Colibri's before shorts... although I question the wisdom of using a firearm to "scare" anything. :confused:
Especially in a subdivision. Can that possibly be legal?
-S

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Should not damage anything but will probably leave lead in front of bullet area. Try CB Longs, they have a longer case. Lighter/smaller bullets usually need slower twist to shoot with any degree of accuracy.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
sdelam said:
I also seriously question the wisdom in using .22 Shorts or anytype of firearm to "Scare" neighbor's cats. Best thing to do is notify your neighbors and tell them to keep their cats on their property, that you don't want them roaming on your property.

DAVID

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
rent/buy a havahart trap. put some sardines in it, trap the cat. call animal control. tell them its the neighbors cat, you've asked to have it stay out of your yard.

scaring the cat wont work, all that will happen is it becomes vary wary of you. It will still come and visit.
Try mothballs, works great, we had a dozen cats around here when we moved in. All feral, I was only able to kill three- they all got so spooky, I couldn't slowly open a window without them bolting. Some old man said take a box of mothballs and spread it around. Yes, it stank, but NO cats- immediately NO cats, no more pee on the tires, no poop under the porch. No more tracks on my tractor, Like that night it stopped.
Paintball sound interesting, but...cruelty to animals may come to mind for local cop.
you're not the bad guy, trap the cat, call the AC....or shave it, write "Liberals for Freedom" on the side of said cat in magic marker and turn it loose. (wear gloves, heavy gloves)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
DRS said:
I also seriously question the wisdom in using .22 Shorts or anytype of firearm to "Scare" neighbor's cats. Best thing to do is notify your neighbors and tell them to keep their cats on their property, that you don't want them roaming on your property.

DAVID
Well, there is a feral cat issue in some areas.
If in a rural area, where shooting is permitted, it might be better to destroy the animals...
But -- one wants to make absolutely sure it's feral before taking pot shots at an animal.
When little Suzy comes knocking on the door, wondering if you've seen Fluffy, you might be left feeling more than a little ashamed.
-S

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
you wanna scare a cat? dont use a gun, thats too easy. id reccomend a big scary dog, german shepard that doesnt take kindly to cats would work very well. although most german shepards ive met are real nice dogs. theres always the option of setting up an electric fence, they arnt leathal they will just let the cat know he isnt supposed to be there. a red ryder or other seriously underpowered bb gun from a decent range wont even do much more than bounce off the cat and might scare him. if a firecracker isnt out of legality, try one or two...but i do like the trap idea, tell the neighbor first then trap. animal control will have no problem taking the animal away if theneighbor didnt listen to you...

·
Registered
108 Posts
CWG said:
I was only able to kill three- they all got so spooky, I couldn't slowly open a window without them bolting.

Paintball sound interesting, but...cruelty to animals may come to mind for local cop.

or shave it, write "Liberals for Freedom" on the side of said cat in magic marker and turn it loose. (wear gloves, heavy gloves)
CWG you ARE my hero! My favorite saying is "I Love Cats, I just can't Eat a Whole One!"

Hub

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the phrase "scare" was a joke. I have talked to the neighbor but some how my landscaping is still the preferred liter box. I have not seen the traps but I have tried the moth balls, worked for a while. My sub division is out side of city limits in a rural town so guns and firecrackers are legal. As to paintballs on deer, i would not get caught doing that. thanks for all the imputs

·
Registered
52 Posts
sdelam said:
As to paintballs on deer, i would not get caught doing that. thanks for all the imputs
How come? It's an nonharmful method of detering deer from eating my plants and shrubs. Just like an electric fence teaches them to stay away. Similarly, the cops in northern NJ use "fire cracker" launching guns to frighten the bears away.

·
Registered
666 Posts
inside 30 yards, i used to use a blowgun with unwired beads. 10mm plastic beads are available at most hobby shops and fit the typical .40 caliber blowgun. surpisingly accurate and absolutly silent. plus, they bounce right off with no real harm done.

Roger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.