Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Small?

The High Standard is a large target pistol, correct?
A small .22 short pocket pistol is the Beretta 950-- I think it's called the "Minx" but some websites say the name is "Jetfire." One was .22 short and one was
.25 acp.
I see from a Google search that another .22 short pocket pistol is the Colt Junior. It's probably a high-dollar collector's item now.

Do you realize how pathetically weak a .22 short round is?
Just today I tested a 3.2" barreled Walther P22 against a stack of 3/8" soft pine boards. The high velocity .22 long rifle bullet only penetrated one board and got stuck halfway through the second. That's not the kind of power I want in a defensive handgun.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
P22

For what it's worth, I've been able to shoot CB longs out of my Walther P22.
I have to cycle the action by hand, of course, but they will feed from the magazine. They're pretty quiet. Even quieter if you hold the slide so it doesn't move and open up the chamber.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The Beretta 950B and 950BS are the "Minx". The "Jetfire" version is .25acp.
Not a lot in .22 Short semio-autos, other than target guns. Astra made the 2000 (.22 Short version of the Cub) and a 4" barrel "Camper" model of that also. Some other pocket guns in .22 Short were offered by Galesi, FIE, and Tanfoglio. The Colt Jr is an Astra 2000.
Any .22LR revolver will handle Shorts, Longs, and Long Rifles.
That said, from my little Astra 2000, a .22 Short is still LOUD! There is nothing quiet about it. CB Shorts/Longs are quieter. But even a standard Colibri is still kind of loud from a 2.5" pocket pistol barrel. The quietest I have found so far is a standard Colibri and a 6" barrel....no sound other than the hammer/striker and the bullet hitting the target. Super Colibris are a bit louder, CB Shorts/Longs a bit louder. Most semi-autos will hand-cycle Colibri, Super Colibri, or CB Long cartridges. I shoot all of those from various semi-auto .22 hand guns like Ruger Mk1, Unique D6, Browning Buckmark, Iver Johnson TP-22, Beretta 21A, Taurus PT-22, Jennings J-22, Intratec Tec-22, Phoenix HP-22, Sedco SP-22, etc.
Of course, if you use a Beretta 21A or a Taurus PT-22, you can shoot .22 Shorts or CB Shorts as a single shot using their tip-up barrels.
However, if you want quiet and functionality, a revolver with a 6" barrel is the most versatile way to go. I use all of the above. :)
Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.