Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had fired a 22 short in my 10/22 thinking it would be somewhat quieter than the LR's, but it was actualy louder... I guess I go see if wally-world has some CB Longs, those should be quiet, so I've heard...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Any of the lil' cartridges are louder out of a click-clack. And make sure whether you're shooting the "Hi-speed" shorts - those little buggers are pretty loud too.
The standard CB Longs should do the trick, as much as possible in a semi-auto. The quiet stuff works best in a bolt-rifle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I got cb longs at my local Longs Drugs. They are super quiet! They dont work well in my 22/45 because they are long and not LR so they "pop" out of the clip. But in the 10/22, they are super quiet (much more so than a subsonic) and less powerful. A phone book easily stops em. You have to work the action, but i learned that if you move the bolt SLOWLY it will work from the magazine (after loading them with plyers one at a time for half a box :p )
If you do ever decide to use a phonebook, check it sometimes, and dont do any decent groups (i wonder why :D )

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have some CCI CB Shorts that are rather quiet, but I've just about all abandoned them for Aguila's Super Colibris. Neither feed from my 10/22 mag, but the 597's works fine.

Both the 10/22 and the 597's actions stay closed after firing, allowing manual cycling (ejection in the 10/22's case) without problems while the 22/45 likes to extract them just enough to jam the action :rolleyes: Same can be said for how they treat CCI Shotshells.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Steve, You may find that the increased noise is caused by the action opening enough to remove that SHORT case before the bullet's left the barrel.
I've noticed that happening when shooting the Aguila SSS in my clickclack. I KNOW that's why they're so loud because on an overcast day or shooting @ dusk, I see flame and sparks coming from the action.
Unfortunately, my CZ won't stabilize those LONG bullets, so I either shoot them in my clacker, or they just sit on the shelf in my reloading room.
I may try manually holding the bolt closed and see what that does.
Paul

·
Registered
264 Posts
yeah me too

Knitepoet,
That's just what I was talking about here:
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22429

I knew i wasn't alone!
C-
I've noticed that happening when shooting the Aguila SSS in my clickclack. I KNOW that's why they're so loud because on an overcast day or shooting @ dusk, I see flame and sparks coming from the action.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
While I have seen the bolt opening wit the SSS in an AR15 conversion kit, I believe it's from the increased recoil of the 60gr bullet. I doubt a 29gr Short would have that problem.

I don't know why Shorts would be louder than LRs, unless the Shorts were supersonic and the LRs subsonic, in which case the "crack" of the supersonic bullet would make it louder.

However, in my limited experimenting the CB Shorts were louder in my revolver than the CB Longs.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Switch To CCI Target Shorts

To get low noise. The high velocity shorts are loud and the CB shorts are quiet but velocity is only 480 fps (I know the box sez 700 fps but that is malarkey). The CCI Target Short will give an honest 800 fps and still give fairly low noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.