Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

22 mag standard vs heavy barrel

653 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  staff3704
I am going to buy a 597, whiich one is the question. Is the bull barrel worth the extra or should I opt for the basic gray stock. If the accuracy is not that differant I will save some money and buy a few after market parts.

I am buying the 22 mag. Hunting not bench.

Thanks
Romans
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Romans,
I bought the standard barrel 597 mag back in Feb. and it is as accurate as you will probably ever need. I tinkered with mine and free floated the barrel and did the other recommended adjustments to it, but even before that it would shoot 3/4" groups at 50 yds all day long. Ammo choice will be the biggest variable for accuracy. Mine really likes the 40 grain Gamepoints but it shoots the lighter stuff ok.

· Registered
1,372 Posts
+1 again. I had a choice of standard or heavy barrel (both used - both laminated stock). Since I would be in the field and not benchrest, I choose the standard. But I also noticed that Rem's 597 barrel was thicker than some other makers. Mine also is 22 Mag. Did the hammer change and like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.