Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

22 mag ammo

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Lynxus 
#1 ·
Can you load your own 22 mag ammo. If you can has anyone tried LiL'gun powder and V-Max bullets. If so please share your results and recommend the right equipment for the job. I have never done any reloading or loading but may be interested.

#5 ·
MUCH TOO DANGEROUS!!

I would never even consider trying it.

We had a discussion about "Lil'gun" powder and the .22WMR. It sounds interesting, seeing what the "Hummer" is capable of doing. But, I would leave the "experimenting" up the the Manufacturers. They got all the right equipment for measuring pressures, etc.

There aren't any reloading equipment or books/load charts for rimfires.

#6 ·
Ya I read SKI's discussion and it sounded like a good idea so I was wondering if anyone had tried it. But after following smallbores link I understand it is much to dangerous. Thanks.

#7 ·
"Jaws!"

Hey, Chum,

I don't know your "location", but...I did some "chumming" offa the coast of "new Joizey".

Lotsa fun! "Tournament Day" wake up to the sound of "Jaws" theme music...."da-dum....da-dum....da-dum...."

BWAHAHAHA!

#8 ·
The man I bought my 2 Jewell Finnfire triggers from told me he once bought some primed .22 brass so he could try making up his own loads. I don't remember if it was LR or MAG, but they cost him either $.40 or $.50 per piece after much searching (and probably a big long distance bill.)

That's $20 or $25 a box plus powder and bullets.

John

#10 ·
reloading rimfires

Years ago when I was first into reloading I ran out of primers for my 30-06. Had plenty of 22's so I pulled the bullet and powder and scooped out the priming compound after wetting it with a drop of alcohol. Put the priming compound in the centerfire primer let it dry and fired away. Got curious and took the priming compound from an unfired 22 case and put it into a fired 22 case. It fired to as long as the indent from the firing pin didn't line up exactly the second time. That said it was a lot of work and playing with priming compound is hazardous. If you ever get a copy of: "Ammunition Making" by Frost published by NRA you'll have a great time reading about it. I would never ever try to make priming compound. Too many chances to blow yourself up as it not only sensitive it is a high explosive. RR

#11 ·
Primed cases

In looking through Tony Dunn's book on US .22 boxes I saw that Remington, Peters, Winchester and may be others sold primed cases. This dates back to at least 1912 and up to WWII. There are examples of shorts, long rifle and WRF's. I don't know how they were used. May be load your own match ammo or black powder? Does anyone have info on this?

#12 ·
What ifffffffff

I was looking at some ammo and components over the weekend,,,

what if ya took a 22 mag shell,

pulled the bullet and junked it,

poured out the powder and weighed it to a uniform measure,

cut 1/8 th inch off of the caseing with a drimmel, hafta stuff it to protect the primer.

and reinserted a .223 55 grain PSP to = the factory lenght of the ammo.

could also cut the powder load a little and go subsonnic for a tree rat load?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.