Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

.22 LR prices

1036 9
I am new to target shooting with my 10/22, how much difference is there in price between regular stuff and match ammo?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
hehehehe..how much money ya got??????

There can be a HUGE diff in the prices of "regular" ammo and match grade ammo, just as a cavalier may cost ya 9 g's, and a lexus will run ya 34 g's.

It all depends on what yer willing to spend

regular ammo...avg 10 to 14 bucks a brick, match ammo 20 something and up (alot of up!!)

:D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Most match ammo will cost you $5 to $10 a box. But Wolf MT will shoot just about as well as the higher priced stuff, and costs less than $2 a box. I shoot a lot of Wolf, as well as Lapua and Eley, and there's not much difference at all. There is a difference, mind you, but it's not significant except under serious match conditions.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
I'd suggest that if you are having a lot of misfire problems with different ammo's, that you should take a close look at the gun.

Misfires happen now and then. but if your ignition system is good on the gun, they should be far and few between...

Ron

·
Registered
364 Posts
ATA, this is a frequent question, and a good one.

To me, there are three classes of ammo, 1) cheap bulk 2) medium and 3) expensive.

Cheap bulk is about $8 for 500 rounds, bullets are not in 50 round boxes. This stuff is ok for plinking, but if you have a good rifle and scope, on targets at 50 yds., you probably can't get it to group better than 2-4". I avoid this stuff. The only exception is Winchester Dynapoints sold only at K-Mart for $13 for 500, which is really good ammo.

I shoot in the medium range ammo, from $1.30 to $4.00 per box. This picks up CCI MiniMags, Wolf Match Target (Internet order usually), and Eley Trainer, I pay $1.50 to $2.00 per box. Accuracy on paper with a good gun and scope off a sandbag rest can get down to 1/2" at 50 yds pretty easy with this stuff. 1/2" compared to 3" is six times more accurate for 2 times the price, that is a good deal to me. In this range, I hit the point of diminishing return.

In the expensive range, you can get to Eley Match at $6 per box (50) and Eley Tenex for $10-12 per box. Its great stuff, but me and my equipment can't get all the benefit of out it, so I stay away.

Read through a lot of the posts in this ammunition forum as there is a ton of great info. There is great info on where to order this stuff on the internet to save money, you will need to order a few bricks at a time, but they can usually be mixed so you can try several different types (this is where most of the fun is!). This is where I got steered in the right direction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When it misfires, I rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and it fires...After reading alot of ammo posts, I believe it is the ammo itself, Remington Golden terds. I bought some mini mags today and out of 100 I had 0 misfires....with Remington it was 1 out of every clip darn near. I thought 22 rimfire ammo was all the same... now I see I had my head up my butt and didn't know crap. You guys have helped me SOOOOOOOO much, I hope to learn something so I can repay the debt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.