Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given a bunch of new CCI .22 Long copper-plated ammo, and was wondering whether there are any reasons not to use it in my two .22 rifles. I have an Anschutz 1441/42 and a Remington 513-T.

I have read some articles that suggest the .22 Long won't be as accurate, because the smaller bullet (22 grain) doesn't seat in the chamber as tightly and thus has a slight "wobble" upon leaving the barrel. Also, that the slightly lower velocity (than Mini-Mags) adversely affects accuracy. I'm only using the rifles for target shooting -- perhaps competitively if I can find anything in the DC area -- but not for hunting.

But beyond accuracy, will using .22 Long cause long-term mechanical/maintenance issues with these rifles?

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Longs have the same case length as LR but they use the bullet from the 22 short (29 gr). The diameter is identical in all 3. The shorter bullet will have to make a jump from the case to the throat and that can affect accuracy but not always. There were many, many guns sold and advertised as short, long, long rifle. Longs can be very accurate but have gotten a bad rap since the only ones commonly available now are called CB's and have a velocity of 700 fps or so and noone loads a target Long.

Edit: Your only issue is going to be that they probably wont feed from any LR magazine but single shot is no problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Longs have the same case length as LR but they use the bullet from the 22 short (29 gr). The diameter is identical in all 3. The shorter bullet will have to make a jump from the case to the throat and that can affect accuracy but not always. There were many, many guns sold and advertised as short, long, long rifle. Longs can be very accurate but have gotten a bad rap since the only ones commonly available now are called CB's and have a velocity of 700 fps or so and noone loads a target Long.

Edit: Your only issue is going to be that they probably wont feed from any LR magazine but single shot is no problem.
Thanks, samven. My main concern is that initial jump into the throat of the barrel: without tight seating of the round in the breech, that sudden "slamming" into position would seem to me to cause greater residue/shaving and fouling over time. But maybe the transition is so smooth that it doesn't result in any more debris.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks, samven. My main concern is that initial jump into the throat of the barrel: without tight seating of the round in the breech, that sudden "slamming" into position would seem to me to cause greater residue/shaving and fouling over time. But maybe the transition is so smooth that it doesn't result in any more debris.
It is a very short jump and the throat is like a funnel and on an Annie a very smooth funnel so there wont be any shaving or extra fouling because the case is the same length as a LR case. If you were shooting hundreds of shorts and then switch to LR without brushing it out you might get tight loading but not so with Longs. On most Non Match chambers even LR make a jump because if the bullet is stuffed in to tight you cant extract a loaded round. The bullet is stuck and the extractor does not have enough of a grip to pull it out. A somewhat common issue with some match guns and ammo combinations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a very short jump and the throat is like a funnel and on an Annie a very smooth funnel so there wont be any shaving or extra fouling because the case is the same length as a LR case. If you were shooting hundreds of shorts and then switch to LR without brushing it out you might get tight loading but not so with Longs. On most Non Match chambers even LR make a jump because if the bullet is stuffed in to tight you cant extract a loaded round. The bullet is stuck and the extractor does not have enough of a grip to pull it out. A somewhat common issue with some match guns and ammo combinations.
Very good info and great points. Thanks. BTW, although both the 1441/42 and the 513-T use mags, I prefer to shoot single-feed, so any potential concerns about the slightly shorter-length .22 Long feeding via mag isn't an issue.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Given Longs vs Shorts to use in a LR chamber Id surely take the Longs.
Iirc the Longs and Shorts have the same 29ish gr. bullet and velocity. Long ago old timer squirrel hunters often preferred Shorts (and by extension, Longs) because they bagged squirrels and the report didnt scare the rest off. Settle back and wait a bit and the others would come out pretty quick.
I wouldnt just burn em up plinking, Id use cheap LR for that and save the Longs for special occasions or trading stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given Longs vs Shorts to use in a LR chamber Id surely take the Longs.
Iirc the Longs and Shorts have the same 29ish gr. bullet and velocity. Long ago old timer squirrel hunters often preferred Shorts (and by extension, Longs) because they bagged squirrels and the report didnt scare the rest off. Settle back and wait a bit and the others would come out pretty quick.
I wouldnt just burn em up plinking, Id use cheap LR for that and save the Longs for special occasions or trading stock.
These CCI .22 Longs have an muzzle velocity of 1215 fps -- so they're supersonic and just below CCI's 40gr Mini Mag round nose at 1235 fps. They look like they'll make fine target ammo, and if the groupings are akin to what I get with the Mini Mag HPs (which group tighter for me than the round nose), I think I might have found a new friend! It sounds like they'll work just fine in my two bolt-action rimfires.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I have never found them to be accurate out of my long rifle firearms and they may crud up the chamber sooner so clean more often.
I do not believe they will hurt anything.
Shorts will crud up the chamber.

Longs have the same case length as Long Rifles.

They won't crud.

Reactions: Expert22lr

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Seems to me that shorter bullet would leave more room for carbon build up?
The case length is what leaves room for a carbon buildup.

Since the Long has the same case length as the Long Rifle........it's not a problem.

That's been the going story as long as I can remember.

(Cue the expert who proves me wrong.)

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts