Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

22 Hornet...Pros & Cons?

3294 15
These have been around since my Ole High School days and were very popular then, I know a few of you have them, I guess any info would be nice...I always wanted one back then and it keeps me wondering today if they would be something to own, but alittle vag on what to expect...later  Kid
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
The Hornet has been on my list of "wants" for quite a while ... apart from the usual reasons (money & honey-dos), the main reason I havent followed up on it is because everybody Ive spoken to (not on RFC) have said the same thing :
"the .22Hornet is a great flat-shooting round with varmit knock-down potential out to 250+ yds. BUT, its a "hot" load and can prematurely burn out chamber throats @5-6000 rounds".

This stuck in my mind as Im looking to buy something pre-owned, where theres no real way of knowing how close to the end of its useful life it is (yeah, yeah, same thing applies to any other caliber).
My shopping list now looks like : .223, .222, .22Hornet
The price difference between the .223 & .222 ammo is only about $5 a box (dearer for the .223), though the Hornet ammo is $10 dearer than the .223 !?!

Im really annoyed with myself because I "snoozed" and missed out on a really good Ruger KM77 in .223 with Busnell scope, Mikes sling and 2 boxes of ammo. Grrr.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Groucho......I didnt know that about their barrels, all I heard that they were pretty good shooters in their day, I know the ammo is pricey but Id reload anyways. The hornet was really popular for fox hunting back in the 70s if I remember right........I like my 22-250, but its alittle hard on 100 yd fox, alot of guys swear by the 17 cal but loose their range fast also....never owned a 223, heard they are a neat rife also...maybe someday...thanks for the info........anyone else?   later  Kid

· Registered
331 Posts
Kid,

The hornet is a great little round.  Cheap, although not easy to reload. (little cases and bullets)  Vmaxs are great!  This little round is deer legal here in AL.  It is very effective with properly placed shots.   Never gave much thought to chamber life with these.  The 22/77 in stainless  is a dream to shoot.  Though Ive said before I do not, and do not condone night hunting, this is a favorite of the night hunters down here. (The sherrifs dept usually has one or two confiscated.)  I think youve got the right order though.  I like the 22/250 over the .222 though.  Bottem line, its cheaper to shoot.    

· Registered
203 Posts
If you get past the idea that the Hornet is a benchrest rest cartirdge (which its not), and can live with velocities of 3000 fps or less.  Unless youre shooting 35 gr V-Max which run out of gas past 125 yds.  If you like mild report and a quick handling rifle then get a Hornet and enjoy.  ;D  I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet VHZ and love it.  I wouldnt recommend a Ruger if youre buying new.  Go with a CZ.  I dont know who said the  Hornet is a barrel burner.  They have their wires crossed.  With 10-14 grs of powder and velocities below 3500fps I dont see barrel life as an issue at all.  Now case life is a different story.  Unless you use Hogdens Lil-Gun powder you get fairly high pressures at or below 3000 fps.  If it was a 22-250, .243, 25-06 something like that then barrel life is a real concern.
Hey Groucho, down where you live I see they have a lot of Martini actions.  I bet you could pick one up cheap and have it chambered in .22 Hornet or better yet K-Hornet.  Be a lot cheaper than buying a new rifle.

· Registered
149 Posts
Re: 22 Hornet...URL's

Thanks for that Mike ... send em anyway (ya can never have too much info ;))

The "commonest" gun (by far) around here for long-range work (particularly rabbits/hares/magpies) is the 22-250.
Some of these guys run through 2-400 rounds per day on rabbits (once per year), which is fine for them because they reload, but I d*mn near died when I priced the factory loads.

After that scare, I figured that I could probably, reasonably, compromise on one of the other .22 centrefire rounds (22Hornet/222/223).
There are 3-4 .223s around for each of the others so it looks like my best bet ... although the thought of a "trebley" (.222) seems to speak loudly to me ;)

Q: Other than the Mini-14, is there any other .223 semi-autos out there (non milspec) ?

· Registered
203 Posts
The Ruger Hornets have a couple of things against them from the beginning.  The two piece bolt doesnt help accuracy at all.  The action could be a little heftier and it wouldnt hurt a thing.  Lots of people swear by them and most swear at them.  Im really happy with mine but maybe I got lucky. The CZ enjoys a better reputation and the only drawback to it is the magazine extends below the stock.  Browning makes a couple of models.  A Micro Hunter and in the Low Wall.  Anschutz makes a couple of models.  Also NEF makes one for under $200.00 that Ive read shoots pretty decent.  Krico made one, Kimber did and lots of others over the years.  Savage, Winchester and Remington all made them.

Ok Groucho the secret word for today is URL  :)

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~bkhornet/22hornet.htm

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~mwlykins/

http://www.ammoloading.com/

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/center.html

Enjoy reading Groucho.  I dont know how old you are but the secret word remark was taken from the Groucho Marx show I used to watch as a kid.  The first URL is from OZ so Im sure he can help you out on your Hornet quest.

· Registered
331 Posts
plchacker....you shot any of those V-Maxs in your 22-250 yet....they seem to be the "Thing" right now, you see them in different calibers and diff grains....later Kid
Yep, I like em. Amazingly if you down load just a little, they have good penetration. I dont remember the load off hand, but they did better than Barns X. OOPs just re-read, I dont have a 22-250 yet. I was thinking Hornet. Cant say with the 22-250.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
The Hornet can be a difficult round, accuracy wise. The CZ has excellent reports from owners. One of my friends has the CZ and loves it.

The Anschutz is a different story: truly amazing accuracy. An example of "getting what you pay for".

I wimped out and ordered a .222 Cooper Classic a few weeks ago. Easy and accurate, lazy shooter that I am.

Ive owned three Hornets: two Kimbers and a Ruger No.3. The Kimbers were both difficult, but the Ruger was impossible. If you decide to go with a Hornet have it rechambered to the "K". Excellent case life and the accuracy improvement will surprise you.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great sites Mike, alot of info there, sounds like the K hornet might be the way to go to, also sounds like CZ makes a pretty good hornet, was checking prices on them, not to bad either....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.