1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to buy another 22 handgun. my choices are
1. beretta 87
2. sig trailside
3; hammerli sp20 (if i can find one and a few extra bucks)
4. s&w model 41
im only going to use the gun in indoor target ranges due to living in NJ. I shoot 9mm and am tired of reloading so i want a new 22 so i can let the brass fly. any suggestions or experiences that will help me make a decision. ill also listen to other options.
thanks guys,
Ed

·
Registered
83 Posts
my 2 cents worth

lets do this through the process of elimination.

1. i've owned the berretta 87 and was extremely disappointed with the gun. i didnt like the trigger or the way it came apart for cleaning.

2. the smith 41 had one of these for about 2 years. it was an ok gun but nothing great.

3. havent owned one, but what i've read from targettalk on the pilkguns.com website i'd have to pass on it. if you are looking for a magazine forward style pistol look at the walther gsp. i owned one and really liked it but sold it when i shiftet more to rifle shooting.

4. this leaves us with the hammerli trailside. you guessed it, this is my pick provided you go with the adjustable sight version. i have a hammerli 208s which is the best .22 pistol i've ever fired. the balance is wonderful and if it doesnt suit you just change barrell weights. they sights have exact repeatability and you can exchange the front post and rear blades if you are looking for different sighting combinations, usefull for different lighting conditions. i.e. indoors vs outdoors.

of course if you wanted to up the ante you might want to try to pick up a used 208s. they quit making them sense they got so costly to produce. they were made in 40 gun runs and were all hand fitted. you could expect to pay about the same thing you would for the sp20 you mentioned.

good luck with your decision. tom

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe a Ruger?

Back when I was shooting a lot 50 ft. indoor Bullseye, I used (and still have I guess) a Ruger Gov't Model with the 6 7/8" barrel. Also have one with the 5 1/2" barrel too.

Shoots just about any ammo at 50' very well and really likes the Eley stuff. But I usually shoot Winchester T22. Cheaper. :)

Nothing at all wrong with the Hammerli, but the Ruger might be a lower cost option for you. But with the Ruger, you will likely want the trigger worked on.

Solid, reliable guns though. Last forever.

Have fun!

Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
I currently own a 41 S&W and a Hammerli Trailside. Both are exellent shooters, very accurate and very reliable. Also, they both have nice triggers. If you plan on using open sights, you should know that the Trailside's sights mount on the slide and cycle with it. The 41's sights are mounted solid and do not move with the slide. Also, if you're going to use a dot sight, it must be removed on the Hammerli when you strip it for cleaning. On the 41 the dot sight can stay mounted. The Trailside I have is the competition model, with ergonomic grips and a barrel weight. I paid 650 for it. A new 41 will run you at least 100 more. Either gun would be an exellent choice. You just have to decide if the solid mounted open sights or the convienence of not having to remove the dot sight on the 41 are worth the extra money. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you choose.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my previous post I neglected to state that I also own a Ruger competition target model. The slabside stainless one. Having owned several other Ruger mkII's I guess I'd have no problem recommending a Ruger, as long as it had a Volquartsen trigger, hammer and sear. I'd also suggest a blue steel one. I've owned three blue Rugers and three stainless ones, and the blue ones all functioned much smoother than the stainless ones. these guns can be VERY compeditive and a bargain to boot. Also, there is a huge amount of trick parts available and very good factory support as well.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The Ruger MkII Target in whatever configuration you like best. These pistols are hard to beat, period. I have a Trailside and it's a good pistol but it's not any better than a MkII. The High Standards are great in the better models. By, the way the Mitchels shoot pretty good too. A friend of mine has one and it gives up nothing to the old HS's. It shoots!!! That 208 would be nice:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the comments.
i owned a high standard victor about 20 years ago. i could still kick myself for trading it. I hear the new high standards are pure crap. i like the ruger, but its just so hard to re-assemble (friend has one). I must disassemble my gun and clean it after every shoot.
just got back from the gun store and im now leaning towards a model 41 with a red dot on it. still waitng for the perrmit to purchase soi i have some time to think about it.
ed

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I own both a Ruger MKII target and a S&W Model 41. The Ruger is a great pistol, probably one of the best "bangs" for the buck $$. My Ruger stays at home now, it's a great gun no problems, but the S&W is just what I like, no comparison in the two on price or accuracy. If I knew before what I know now I would have purchased a S&W Model 41 a long time ago, they are fine pistols, a bit picky to begin with, I have about 1,200 rounds thru mine as of today, it just keeps getting better!!

One small problem on my Ruger, after about 300? rounds it start's to foul and loose accuracy a bit, not terrible but I can really tell when it needs to be cleaned. I also like the breakdown of the S&W better also, but like I said a big price diffrence in the two.

Hope this helps, Clint

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I take it you're looking for a target pistol. I have a Ruger MK II bull barrel that I really like. Very accurate.

I also have a Buck Mark "Field". Target bull barrel, scope rail, etc. Real nice trigger. I little fussy on ammo than the Mk II.

The IZH-35 is an excellent target gun. I haven't put as many rounds through it as the Mk II or Buck Mark, but it has a lot of potential.

steve

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I would recommend a Pardini. It has a fully adjustable trigger (LOP, angle, et al) that is excellent. A bargain at $950.

The 41 (owned several) is an excellent pistol, but is not up to the Pardini.

My Trailside's slide failed at about 2K rounds (took about three months to replace), so I have somewhat mixed feelings although it was very accurate.

I owned a 208s, a fantastic pistol worth every dime. Buy one if you can find one, you will not regret it.

I don't think the SP 20 measures up to the 208s.

Merely my opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would go for a Walther GSP or Hammerli 208, build quality is superb, would give the SP20 a pass, I have heard of the frame giving up on .32 SP20....

There were a series of 208's made in the 70's which has a screw on left hand side of the frame, with a turn of this screw, it would change the trigger pressure from 1000+ grams to 1360+ grams

·
Registered
130 Posts
As a former Bullseye shooter, I've owned several S&W 41's in the past and enjoyed them, also several Ruger 5.5" bull barrels and enjoyed them considerably less than the 41's, even after trigger jobs, better sights, scopes, etc. I don't have any of them any more. I highly respect the original High Standard target pistols I've been fortunate enough to shoot, but I'm in love with a 6.5" first-generation Colt Woodsman...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! :cool:
Just the other day I was bouncing empty 12 gauge shells all over
a 45 yard berm with it offhand using junk plinking ammo..... it is sleek, elegant, VERY accurate, reeks of old-time quality, and has a great trigger for a sporting pistol right out of the box!!
Might be worth considering. Not high-tech or cutting edge, but the folks I show it to and let shoot it are unanimous in their praise of it. I fully expect to have this until I go to the nursing home!! :)
John

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always liked shooting a 22 lr that had the same sight picture, grip and trigger as what I might use for serious social purposes. Masny moons ago I had a pre 68 GCA PPK in 380 acp and it's little brother in 22 lr.

Last summer I picked up a Glock 27 in 40 SL&W and also a 22 lr conversion kit for it from Advantage Arms. It takes less than 10 seconds to swap barrel/slide and mag to convert back and forth. At $250 you effectively get a second gun. I put 200 rnds of 40 S&W and 300 rounds of 22 lr through it in the last 2 weeks all without a hicup. That was the first time it had been fired in either format. If your 9mm is a Glock this is a possibility for you. Here is their website:

http://www.advantagearms.com/index.htm

If you have a Colt, Beretta or Taurus a company by the name of
Ceiner does the same type of thing.

http://www.22lrconversions.com/

Dave D

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
22CaliberGuy,

My wife says get a High Standard!

And I agree, find an older High Standard like the Victor you had or a Supermatic Citation.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Look for an older High Standard Victor or a S&W Model 41.

I've had excellent results with both pistols. The 41 has a Clark barrel setup for a Red dot. At 25 yards, off the bench, the accuracy amazes me. My Victor tends to be a little more ammo forgiving but still shoots very well through iron sights.

Tim

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have owned a Ruger MKII for some years now - had a trigger job performed and actually manage to win a few local pistol leagues with it. Excellent accuracy.

Bought a S&W 41 a few years back - much nicer pistol all around - as well it should be for the price! Easy takedown. Easy to switch barrels. I use CCI standard vel. and the 41 performs exceptionally well with this relatively inexpensive ammo. Good out of the box trigger. An excellent choice for 22 semi-auto pistol for target use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.