Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all from Sullivan, Mo !!! Been mostly lurkin for a while now and just wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for the great info.

I've been shooting for quite a while now, about 26 years now, wow time flies. Thanks to you all, I've rediscovered rimfires. Found the forum when the .17 hmr caught my interest, but I'm now interested in all rimfires again. So I went gunshopping and found something wonderfull. All these years I've been mostly overlooking the staggering variety of old 22 rifles in gunshops and shows. They are everywhere and in just about any flavor you can imagine. Just to add icing to the cake, most of them run the range of $50 to $200 bucks. Lately (the last 10 years or so) I've been griping about the high cost of guns, and here these treasures have been sitting right under my nose!

Nice to meet you all and thanks again...I gotta go...I've got 75 bucks saved up and I'm off to get a new toy :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
WELCOME! Fellow "MO's"

:D

I'm in Springfield and there are several more of us "spread out" all over.

I meet alot of .22 rimfire shooters at the range I go to, but, it seems like the "computer age" still hasn't made it big in MO, yet.

;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome ironsight!

Yea. I know what you mean...all that time buying centerfires, buying reloading supplies, when all that time I could have been saving time money and effort by just buying preloaded rimfire ammo that is way cheaper than ANY centerfire ammo .:D
More shooting time is more fun time = simple.;)

I love the old .22 rifles too = just got my prewar Remington 34 takedown back from the range where the little boltgun with the looong barrel and longer tube magazine was trying to behave like a match rifle. It wasn't = my Winchester 52B will shoot rings around it from the bench, but 12lbs of rifle will give you a hernia if you shoot it offhand = the little Remington weighs half that amount and shoota as smoothly.
Oh yea, I just love shooting rifles that are older than I am!:D :t

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same Boat

Ironsite,
I am right along with you. I am just getting back into shooting guns again after a long lapse. I got into archery years ago, and pretty much haven't fired a gun since. I still love Archery, wouldn't give it up for anything, but I too had my curiousity sparked by the 17HMR and walked out of a local gun shop with one, which got me back into guns again, very happy since then.

As a young hunter (never mind how long ago), I had a Remington single shot that was unbelievably accurate and took more than it's share of Wood Chucks. I have long wished I never got rid of it, and would LOVE to find one like it. It was a Bolt Action, and after inserting the shell and closing the bolt, you had to pull the pin back on the back of the bolt. Does anyone know of a Remington Model that this describes?

DOD

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my country the law is very restrictive you may have a very limited number of weapons, i have been very lucky because i have shooted and competed in several disiplines,in my club, ipsc, idpa, central fire, military 300m match rifle(mauser k98), and have shooted several big bore rifles including a 460 weatherby, but i alwas think that the .22lr always will be the KING.

·
Registered
103 Posts
im with you buddy

as a missourian at heart im with you.i moved from lake st. louis about two years ago.now i live in alabama.well i really work and live in the gulf of mexico two weeks at a time.anyway im doing the exact same thing i go everyday to all the local pawn shops and buy every rimfire that interest me.(which is pretty much everyone i see). hows things in mo. i miss it down here its very hard to find places to hunt. up there i had lots of places public and private to hunt one of my favorite places was a place called little lost creek wildlife area.its out past wright city on 70.i know that place like the back of my hand.and to me its about the most beautiful place on earth.down here my mother is the manager of a cemetary out in the country and they have a couple thousand acres of undeveloped land that i can hunt so i hunt in the cemetary.good luck huntin old guns its alot of fun.Bently

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Welcome to this very cool site. I come accross this site and it already has paid dividends, but they keep inviteing me to be a member. I will eventually, like the next month. I love the fact that I don't have to borrow my dad's .22 any more.
I can't wait until I get my own .17 Hummer.
Gave up on competition shooting because it became too expensive , hunting is much rewarding for me.
I'm a conservationist with a gun, not aa preservationist who advocates the banning of all hunting and fishing. :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Envy and jelousy are not good feelinings to have here. If Chief dave bought em all, he knows the old saying, first in, best dressed.

Istill say my .22 ANSHULTS was a bargain @ A$75,
considering it shoot's like a target rifle with Super Hi velocity Hollowpoint Powerpoints. Try and find another rifle that cheap that can cut a three shot cloverleaf, you won't find it now.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Welcome from west central mo.

Now...
The rules are ...

You must have a Browning SA-22 short only rifle.
And go squirrel hunting..

Very simple rules.

Then you can join the club :):) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
6,934 Posts
An update on ski from Springfield, Mo. I am new to this forum and stumbled onto this post from Ski. I Knew Ski. He was a very nice guy. I was told that he died in a motorcycle wreck.
Welcome to RFC. I'm very sorry to hear about Ski and his unfortunate accident. My condolences to his friends and family.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Ironsite - Welcome aboard and welcome back to rimfire shooting.

I always browse the used rimfire section of the LGS's and have picked up a "find" every so often. I still have my Remington 512 X I purchased @ Coast to Coast hardware store back in the early 60's and yes it still gets "a little" range time from time to time.

One of the challenges with the RFC is the lack of control that overcomes most members . . . enabled by a select few . . . but seemingly supported by most members. Do not be surprised if your rimfire inventory suddenly starts to increase along with various accessories necessary to fully enjoy each acquisition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.