Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that most of the .22LR and .22WMR rifles don't seem to have as good as bluing on their barrels as the receivers. The bluing looks spun, or rough in sunlight. Is this an industry standard, do manufacturers skimp because they are .22s, or is the type of metal used in .22 barrels not conducive to bluing. I've seen this on Remington and Winchesters at least.

·
36,633 Posts
You haven't looked at a T/C Classic. It is not the blueing but the lack of polishing under the blue. If they polished the 22's like the centerfires they would cost almost as much as the centerfires. Has absoutely nothing to do with the steel used. If you look at the high end rifles they are polished nicely. when the polish and blueing is done right it gives you the illusion of looking INTO the finish on the steel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes perfect sense. I can see the concentric swirl marks in the metal from the machining. Hell, even the picture in the owners manual looks the same way. I just thought that since one pays $200 more for a 9422, the barrel would/should be polished. Oh well, I still like the gun tremendously.

The bluing on my featherweight 270 WSM is phenomenal. Bluing is very rich and looks like a black mirror!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.