Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new stock 10/22 about a month ago and have shot maybe 250 rounds of federal ammo through it so far. It jams regularly with this ammo. Whats some of the better ammo to shoot? Im new to this forum and i know this has probably been asked a 100 times. ALso whats the quietest subsonic ammo to shot. I have some cci shorts that are very quite but wont eject. I need a good squirrel shell that is silent to shoot in my neighborhood(dont worry, i have a straight shot into miles of woods in front of my house just neighbors on the side). I just ordered a new stock and have installed a tune up kit with the mag release, bumper pin and lighter springs for the trigger. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
959 Posts
You are off to a good start......you need to completely disassemble the gun and take the bolt out of the action and clean the extractor hook and under it...also the shell cut in the face of the bolt......then use a toothpick or similar to clean the extractor groove/cut in the barrel........clean and lube the bolt handle operating rod and spring........the Volquartson "exact edge" extractor will eliminate all extraction problems........if the cleaning doesn't fix it.....take the magazine and polish the feedramp in it and clean the insides........full weight 37-40 grain HP from Winchester works well for fun shooting.....I haven't ever used any subsonic.....closest I came is standard velocity target ammo such as Lapua and Eley.......they make a Long rifle case with a light powder charge that won't cycle the action but will be quite....will shoot to different point of aim than normal ......check with the tips section for disassembly of gun and magazine details and do a search for the quite ammo.......good luck and good shooting!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
rebus20 said:
It jams regularly with this ammo. Whats some of the better ammo to shoot?
Well, I've said it many a times here, and I'm sure everyone is getting tired of hearing this, but CCI Blazers run well in my 10/22. Its cheap plinking ammo, and the accuracy is very good... considering the price. BTW- I have a bone stock standard model. Its my fun gun. Actually its one of the many fun guns I have. And I feed all of them CCI Blazers.

steve

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good Ammo

.22 caliber firearms are notoriously finicky about ammunition. No matter how good or bad a rimfire shoots, it will shoot much better with some ammo and much worse with others. You must gather up a wide variety of different makes and types, go to the range, and test them carefully using your best benchrest technique. Keep records. You will find some ammo your gun likes. Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to, but it is really a satisfying process. It is also a whole lot of fun. You might be able to narrow your list of brands for initial testing by searching the 10/22 forums. Certain ammunition keeps coming up as "10/22 friendly"; my own absolutely loves Winchester Dynapoints from Kmart. $12.99/brick, sometimes less on sale. They are about the only reason I ever go to Kmart. Have fun getting to know your new toy!:t

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: Good Ammo

Klof Drahcir said:
.22 caliber firearms are notoriously finicky about ammunition. No matter how good or bad a rimfire shoots, it will shoot much better with some ammo and much worse with others. You must gather up a wide variety of different makes and types, go to the range, and test them carefully using your best benchrest technique. Keep records. You will find some ammo your gun likes. Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to, but it is really a satisfying process. It is also a whole lot of fun. You might be able to narrow your list of brands for initial testing by searching the 10/22 forums. Certain ammunition keeps coming up as "10/22 friendly"; my own absolutely loves Winchester Dynapoints from Kmart. $12.99/brick, sometimes less on sale. They are about the only reason I ever go to Kmart. Have fun getting to know your new toy!:t
I've had about 1500 rds shot through this rather new 10/22 and just now beginning to get a good idea of what shoots/cycles well. You will remember the "bad" ones more than the good ones so just make a note somewhere and it'll all come together. The factory stock carbine is a blast! Fun, reliable and imo very attractive for a swamper. If you want accuracy and like to tinker, just grab a target barrel and stock combo for a good deal!

Perf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good ammo/bad ammo

I have been through this all myself as well. First time when I was 16, doing it all over again now and I wouldn't trade the job to anyone.
I am shooting a stock 10/22 that I dropped a Power Custom Hammer and Sear, and Spring Kit into. Had the bolt release cut made and soon ordering the extended mag release from MidwayUSA.com. Weaver TO-9 base, spare-parts-bin Weaver stainless medium rings and a Simmons 8 pt 4x scope because I wanted to put my Leupold on the 375H&H.
I was thinking K.I.S.S. principle but for some reason I keep having these weird dreams of Green Mountain heavy barrels and a laminate sporter stock. Mate that to a Leupold M-8 6x...

Why did 22s have to start costing what centerfires cost? Why???
Oh well, just more insanity. I guess I'm doomed...:D

As for Ammo, These things LOVE cheap ammo!
But, you have to try a bunch of them.

Mine likes CCI Blazer,
Loves Remington Thunderbolt (no jams or stovepipes, shoots sub 2"@100yds),
Stovepipes Federal Lightning and hates it but it shoots well to point of aim.
CCI Stingers work reliably and group okay (3" @100yds) and I am trying the Velocitor Sunday afternoon.

I use it for plinking, grouse and ptarmigan or a game of, "Who can cut the hockey puck in half with the fewest shots".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.