Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is is possible to just glue on a grip with out grinding out the plastic? The only thing wrong I see would be that it would be a little fatter.
Well, the surface of the molded grip is round, and the back of a 1911-style grip panel is flat.

I suppose you could could take a dremel and round out the back of a grip panel to fit the contour of the molded grip... but then you'd have to do that every time you changed grips.

If you grind the frame, you only have to do it once.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to glue on a Hogue 1911 Govt grip without grinding down the frame. Is it possible? I don't care to switch grips. Those are fine to stay on permanently. I was just wondering if it was down before. The material you grind down is only about 2-3mm on both sides of the frame. The grip should easily fit around the frame without grinding. It will be a little fat in the middle.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The back side of Hogue grips are reinforced with a very stiff plastic material. The section covering the frontstrap of the frame isn't which is how it can wrap around from one side to the other.

IMO, grinding/dremeling the frame is about the best way to do it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have seen them done that way. Just remember, you are then losing access to do a full disassembly. I did the full mod, and it was not hard at all. Find your holes, drill and install bushings. It was SIMPLE.
Hey, I know you! (xdtalk!)

He's right, if you glue the grips on you'll lose the opportunity to fully strip the pistol....which means thorough cleaning, upgrades, or replacing parts will be VERY difficult.

I recommend you grind down the frame, install bushings, and set the grips the right way...it truly is a simple modification.

As mentioned, the hogue grips are VERY rigid and would not form well over the factory 'grip.' You'd end up with unsightly gaps.
Grinding the back of the grips might work, rather than grinding the frame, but it'd be more time consuming to get right...and again, if glued, you wouldn't be able to disassemble the pistol

Let's also not forget you would then have grip-screw holes in the grips that were empty (UGLY!).

See my "22/45 mods, my way" thread in this section of the forum for some pictures and tips from when I did this mod.

Do it right, or don't do it at all!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I seen on another forum, some time ago, a guy took some Hogue wrap around grips and hollowed them out with a dremmel. Then he used silicone adhesive to glue them to the frame. It worked well for him because he didn't feel comfortable doing MAJOR and PERMANENT surgery to his fine pistol.
I did the grind and drill method but it is not for everybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.