Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

2022 hunting pics - post 'em up!

16158 168
No time to spare as far as chasing summer redcoats so the twin Savage .17's were out last night on the prowl.

Only a few minutes in this one appeared behind the chicken wire fence bordering a creek, at very close range and got an A17 in the right eye.

It was a hectic next ten minutes with another three shot not far away, all older pups.

Then this big dog fox weaved his way in to the whistle from about 150m out and realised too late it was a trap!

As he turned to run off I hit him through the chest.

There were other critters out of course - this is an owlet nightjar, which is like a small owl. He got dazzled by my torch and ditched in the grass. So I picked him up and put him out of harms way.

On the other end of the size scale, two emus jumped up out of the grass right in front of me!

Scalping for the $10 bounty was handled by my Mitchell skinner, made by Aussie hunting writer Ted Mitchell Sr.

All foxes shot at were killed and all scalps recovered - 12 for the night and most seen were shot.

Not a bad start to 2022.
81 - 100 of 169 Posts

· Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Soon, hopefully soon if we can get our act together with the shotguns. Right now I have to choose between duck hunting, squirrels & rabbits, grouse, and muskies. Can't do it all anymore, time is very limited with a two year old in the house now and I don't play hooky with my own work*. I think next year he'll be old enough to understand hearing protection and can come along for small game riding in a back carrier.

If any young people who are going to have kids soon happen to read this, I really hope you're reading it from a blind or tree stump. If not your priorities are out of order 'cuz soon that's where you'll wish you were!

*unless its turkey opener... we can bend rules for gobbles.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
Before you know it he'll be out hunting with you. I was out looking for Dove today. But, found fields packed with Pheasant for tomorrow's youth hunt. So we had lot's of fun stocking, pointing and flushing many Pheasants instead. If you zoom in and look where Eika is pointing you'll see several in the newly plowed field. Thank God for our children and may you enjoy many hunts with your son in the years to come EK.
Plant Sky Cloud People in nature Natural landscape

Attachments

8,412 Posts
Deer #2, crossbow at about 23 yards!!! This doe was the lead doe in a group of 6 does!!! This one is going to be mostly made into summer sausage!!! Picture #1 as found in the woods. That is the entrance wound, quartering away. Even though the shot looks too far back the arrow only went through the heart/lung cavity. Heart had severe cuts, but no chambers were punctured. Took at least one artery off from near the top of the heart. And yes, I critique myself on my shots. I was reasonably happy with this one!!!

Picture #2, the exit wound.

And just because I felt like it!!!

And a generic view of places I hunt, gotta love suburban hunting. Better have them close and your aim better be true and the broadheads better be shaving sharp, because it doesn't take much for a deer to get off of a 5-acre lot. That is the bad thing about suburban hunting. Deer was 20 yards into the woods just to the left of the yellow/orange tree in the center of the picture. I was 20 feet up in the tree.

And you can see 5 of the 6 deer in this picture!!!
God Bless, Frank.

81 - 100 of 169 Posts