Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
They're very nice shotguns. And, made in Connecticut. There are still some real shotgun artisans making shotguns there today. Just not for mass production.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A few summer foxes from recent night walks.

Half a dozen more with the .17HMR two nights ago.

Good sized dog.

My favourite place to shoot them when they are front on.

Warm night and lots of bugs out.% This guy hitched a ride on the back of my head for a couple of minutes.

Fox shot amidst an explosion of cockatoo feathers.% You see torn up bird remains and bit and I don't know how foxes catch them.

Also shot 8 with the Tikka .223 a week ago.

8 scalps = $80 bounty. :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Crows are tough to take. They are very wary of any movement and present a small target at range. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Rats last night.

1981 Blue Streak and four pumps and some of the heavy H+N Sheridan Slugs that I bought 5000 of a few years ago.

Shot about 8 around the neighbours poultry sheds. A few were up gum trees after the blossoms and they are particularly fun as they hit the ground with a THUMP.

Old skool heavy slugs.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Eika races through the thickets, finds them and when they flush sometimes I see them dash. If I get real lucky, I see where they stop and occasionally they don't disappear and I can make out a silhouette and then maybe I'll have a clear shot. Then and only if it all comes together is it goodnight bunny. Eika then searches for them and pulls them out and brings them to me. It's great way to spend a late afternoon even though most times I just see a flash of a bunny streak by.

·
Premium Member
37,673 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Great looking dog! Looks like a GSP. But, definitely could benifit from some knowledgeable training to correct the destruction of prey before the retrieve. That's not a good behavior for a hunting dog.

It can be a very difficult behavior to correct, especially since the pup seems to eat anything. That sock was definitely life threatening. So can small game bones be a hazard to the dogs. If it were my dog I be seeking help from a pro.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Couple recent nights out on the foxes. One night with .223's and we shot 3 each.% My offsider on that night needs to practice his offhand shooting...

A different part of the same property and this time with the .17HMR's.% To our annoyance the wind had come up and we got scented a few times when calling and stalking.% But we still got 11.

Large dog.

Mature vixen. She was still milky and I did shoot one half grown pup nearby.

Just remember folks, the .17HMR is totally unsuitable for foxes!% ;)

Just counted my scalps for the bounty collection and have over $1000 worth. :)

21 - 40 of 62 Posts