Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am going to be changing out the barrel on the 2013 in the next week or so. I have researched a lot on what torque to use and think I am set on that. What I am looking for now is, what pattern should the barrel bolts be torqued in (ie., middle then top, then bottom then back to middle)?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
With my dads 2013 BR-50, we tighten them in a rotation, but really doesn't matter which way you start. We would do them, as if you are looking at the bottom of the rifle, top right, then bottom left, then top left, then bottom right. Just a little at a time, but we ALWAYS made sure to do the final tightening of both front screws first, then the back ones. We never used a torque wrench and have never had any issues with accuracy. The barreled action has been out of the stock several times, and always returns to zero, and shoots wadded sub 1/4" groups at 50 yards with RWS R-50.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Grizzy, you answered another question I would have later on for action to the stock. I was hoping for an answer on a patter for the three bolts that hold the barrel to the action.

Thank you,
Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the rifle is already bedded into a stock by Butch Hongisto. I am just upgrading to a longer barrel, and I am talking about the three screws in the picture below.

·
Registered
454 Posts
the rifle is already bedded into a stock by Butch Hongisto. I am just upgrading to a longer barrel, and I am talking about the three screws in the picture below.
I might be wrong but I don't think there is a particular order BUT that schematic came from the Lilja web site or somewhere where they copied it from Lilja.
In any case you could call Lilja for an opinion or call Neil Johnson and ask their gunsmith since they are a Anschutz authorized repair facility.
http://nealjguns.com/

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Just wondering...The actions on the 2013, is it still a 54? If so what is the difference in the 2013 vs. the 17xx's. Thanks in advance, humbly, dave:eek:
The 2013 takes a 54 style bolt, but the action is totally different. They don;t even look the same at all. I would do the action/barrel screws the same. Start with the front screw, tighten a little, then the next one, snug it slightly, then the back one the same. Then starting with the front one, tighten all the way, then the second one, then the back one. Don't forget to set your head space. You may have to use a feeler guage to see what it is the first time, then maybe have to move it to find the sweet spot. Measuring each time, and record your results when you shoot. That way you will know which one was best if you have to go back. Easier to set it that way, then just going by the seat of your pants..:eek: :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know about more solid and stable, but it is easier to change out barrels when you need too. I do know that it is harder to bed this action as not many out there want to bed a square action, most want to bed the round 54 action.

But the 2013 platform has won many different events with the last one being German Salazar winning a rimfire championship. It has also proven to be a winner in the Olympics.

It all comes down to what you want to use it for. It is awesome for position and prone shooting, but hasnt proven itself in benchrest like I am trying to do. The potential is there though as I have shoot some very good ARA scores and some very tight groups in ammo testing.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Hoke Kerns set a few BR records with his 2007 Anschutz rifle. It's realy picky on ammo, but super accurate.

I have one just finishing up now that uses a machined block for the bottom, and we reloacted the front two action screws to new holes behind the recoil split area.

They are just tricky to work with, but I think they can be made into a solid BR gun.

We shall see!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.