Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW, if you're looking for a quiet and accurate round for critters, I'd highly recommend this. A little pricey at $3.50/box, but worth it.

I did some testing in my Mossberg 144 LSB and I was very amazed at the accuracy, even out to 100 yds. It pretty much shoots flat between 25 and 75, but drops 6" at 100. This stuff leaves a pronounced "thwack" sound when hitting the backstop. This will leave a mark on a critter!!

Natchez has the stuff, but its not listed under CCI, you gotta look the part number up. I will post link to that later.

steve

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have found CCI subsonic to be almost as accurate as Wolf MT in some rifles.

I used it this morning in a 100 yard prone match. I cleaned one target with it.

It will shoot tiny X ring size groups at 50 yards.

It also works very good in my pistol.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Any of you know where I can order some of it?
Natchez has it but I can't order from them in Alabama :mad: :(
Paul

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try www.grafs.com $4.09 box (100rds) plus flat $3.75 per order shipping.

Just came back from range.

CCI Subsonic HP failed to fully chamber about 90% of the time in my Green Mountain barrel. Also, unfired rounds would not eject. I had to push the bolt forward with my thumb usually at least 1/4 of an inch to chamber the round.

Would fully cycle bolt, just not completely chamber.

This was the only ammo out of 11 types tried that had any problems feeding.

Was not accurate (probably due to said chambering method) but was a nice quiet load. :rolleyes:

Rifle: 10/22 with GM 16.5 blue fluted (Bentz chambered)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Steve-in-kville,
I can't comment on the problems that kyle has reported, but ...

* if you're going to shoot subsonic ammo from ANY semiautomatic, then you need to set up the rifle for it

* there are any number of threads here that cover the " how-to's" of how to set up a 10/22 for use with subs, but most of the "tricks" are _standard_ 10/22 "improvements".
Namely; polish the action (to remove any nicks&burrs) and dri-lube it; while it's apart install a WeaponKraft "action kit" (VQ extractor & Weaponkraft bolt buffer), and a VQ (or PC) hammer while you're at it

* the only "sub-sonic-specific" trick (could be argued) is to chamfer the back/bottom of the bolt

What I CAN comment on though is that _I_ alternate between subsonics (CCI's), standard velocity, hi-velocity, and hyper-velocity rounds at whim in the same (s/s) 10/22.
* This rifle has a (legal) suppressor on it which STAYS on it regardless of what ammo I'm using (yeah, yeah, flame away! :p)
* This rifle has all the above "standard" tricks applied (but not the bolt chamfering), and I can report NO failure-to-feed/fire/or extract problems.
* It only get's cleaned when the action starts to feel "gritty" (about every 5000 rounds :eek:), or when it's REALLY dusty (summer shooting in windy conditions)

Just to qualify the above (so as not to sound like a complete mechanically-heartless [email protected]):
* I tested ALL the ammo I now use for accuracy & cleanliness and only use those that were clean-burning and had a repeatable POI
* I then tested those selected in one session, so I could see what the different POI's were, and made a mental note (so that when I change ammo I know what/how to compensate)
* Yes, if I was paper-punching with it (which I do on occassions) I could guarantee that there would be POI differences from all the different ammo, but as the main use is "poof"-ing furry critters ... it's not a biggie ;)

Bit of a ramble I know, but hopefully you get the idea !
What I do may not suit everybodies idea of the right or wrong way of firearm care, but hey it works for me and different-strokes-ffor-different-folks ya know :t

·
Registered
59 Posts
Graf and sons is nice when you only want to order a small quantity of ammo, the low shipping charge makes sampling possible without paying $10 a brick to ship.

I chamfered the bolt of my rifle, polished/removed burs, used moly on internal contact points.

The rifle shoots everything I have fed it. Including 711b, Eley Target Rifle, CCI Standard (all subsonic). Green Mountain chamber just does NOT like CCI Subsonic Hp.

I looked carefully at the rounds measured and compared to other ammo. My conclusion is that the bullets bearing band is longer than average and makes the bullet larger in diameter farther forward than normal. Thus my Bentz chamber doesn't like it.

CCI Subsonic HP on left CCI Standard on right.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kyle,
I thought that would be the case - CCI sub vs GM Bentz chamber.

I didn't say anything, because I wasn't sure what the difference was (if any) between the .22LR and .22WMR GM barrel chambers ... my GM magnum barrel happily digests anything I throw at it, and (just like my .22lr) that's almost EVERY brand & type out there :p

Great pic BTW, it really highlights the differences.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Thanks for the link Kyle. I'll be ordering some SOON!!!
Thanks again!!
Paul

·
Registered
993 Posts
Prices

I got ripped at $4.69/100 at the local shop. But the PowerPoints were $18.99/brick so not all of his ammo is overpriced. I guess if this box works well I'll have to shop around more, but so far he's the only place I've seen it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I got mine yesterday. I haven't had a chance to take them to the range, but in some casual shooting here they seem to be VERY accurate and that HP is HUGE. They do engrave when loaded into my CZ, I have not tried them in my AMT.
Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.