Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 22 auto takedown in January and it jammed like crazy from the first magizine. After trying the obvious things like cleaning it and trying every kind of ammo that Walmart and our local gun shop had, (with no luck) I boxed it up and sent it back. I got it back today and guess what... It jams just as bad or worse than it did before I sent it off. I shot it 20 times today and it jammed twice. I wonder if Browning even shot it, much less worked on it? Never the less, it's my first and last Browning! The next gun show that comes along I'm unloading that P.O.S and good riddance! I have a $75.00 Marlin that will shoot circles around that thing in both accuracy and reliability.

If you have read my other post about my problem you will notice that I have kept my cool pretty well until Browning had a chance to make it right. I was very carefull not to bad mouth. I'm now letting off a little steam because I think a $465.00 .22 rifle should be able to shoot more than 10 times without a malfunction. And another thing...they didn't even bother sending a piece of paper explaning any problems or work done. :(

David

P.S. I think John Browning would roll over in his grave if he knew his guns were being made in Japan anyway.

·
36,633 Posts
My wifes cousin bought one of the tiny little Brownings that feed thru the butt and eject downward is that the same one. It came with a warning from the guys at the shop that it would only work with one ammo, Winchester Super X. it even came with a piece of paper in the box that said use only Winchester Super X. Sure enough, we took it out and and tried Blazers and other stuff butt no dice. As soon as we put Super X in it the thing ran perfectly. Super X is ot as easy to find as it was but it's out there. Maybe you should give it a try.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Vincent said:
My wifes cousin bought one of the tiny little Brownings that feed thru the butt and eject downward is that the same one. It came with a warning from the guys at the shop that it would only work with one ammo, Winchester Super X. it even came with a piece of paper in the box that said use only Winchester Super X. Sure enough, we took it out and and tried Blazers and other stuff butt no dice. As soon as we put Super X in it the thing ran perfectly. Super X is ot as easy to find as it was but it's out there. Maybe you should give it a try.
LOL, I bought one of these new around 25 years ago and after being very frustrated trying many types of ammo to get it to work. I also found Super X was about the only ammo that worked. Wished my gun shop gave me the word on this.

Get you a box of Super X 37 Grain HP and Super X 40 grain solid and see what it does. It may prefer one or the other. Not the 40 grain Super X Power Point load.

Also learned to use no gun oil in the action it must be dry. So I always store it muzzle down so no bore oil goes into the action.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well aint that a pisser! I tried Winchester Xperts, and Dynapoints but I didn't try Super X. I wonder what the difference is? I still think it should be able to shoot any of the others. I wont give up on it yet, I'll see if I can find some of the Super X kind.

Thanks guys!
David

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
I own several Browning rifles, some made in Europe and several made in Japan. The quality, fit, and finish of the Japanese guns is superb! All mine are finished better inside than any of my American made guns are finished outside. The japanese manufactured gun are certainly not second class compared to the European Brownings, at least in my experience.

As for a gun not feeding correctly, the new cheaper 22LR ammo is terrible compared to anything I remember shooting say 20 years ago. I have no idea what current manufacturers are doing to the ammo but most every box you pickup reguardless of the manufacturer or cost has some duds or ones that need to be recycled through the gun to fire. Case sizes vary all over the place and some easily chamber while other do not and creat many failures to feed. While the gun is responsible for part of the feeding issue, with some guns the ammo, I think, plays a bigger part in the problem. I feel you have to search out the ammo the gun likes. Of all my 22's, virtually each likes a different ammo. Some of my guns will feed and fire almost anything but these guns are not "match quality" guns but plinkers. Brownings have to be closer to match than cheap plinker guns.

LDBennett

·
Registered
413 Posts
I knew there was an accuracy edge with non take down rifles,but Brownings are reliable. The company just didn't work on your gun-or test it. They are little dandies,just keep it . Hell, the TC is not that reliable,but it sure is accurate. Some guns have peculularites,shells,etc. Sounds like your gun needs to be broken in.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I also have both Belgian and Japanese manufactured Browning 22 Autos. Neither of mine have ever failed to feed, or fire with most any ammo I've used, even subsonic hollow points. I don't shoot the loss leader junk, only WW Super X, CCI HP, and some Eley SS HP.

Of course my Belgian rifle has in excess of 50,000 rounds through it and the Jap has at least 10,000 rounds through it. Both shoot inside 3/8" at 35 yards. They do make fantastic plinkers and short range squirrel rifles.

Not sure why the barrel is loosening after shooting, mine have never loosened. I do keep my pretty tight. Be careful you can break or crack the stock at the wrist if it's too tight.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I shot 2 boxes (100 rounds) of Super X with 2 malfunctions. I also fired 50 rounds of CCI with no problems and about 200+ rounds of the Remington Golden Bullets with only 1 malfunction. All of these malfunctions were early in the shooting session and by the end of the day I was pouring ammo through it like milk! I don't think the problem is gone yet but this is WAY better than it has ever done before. Someone mentioned it needs to be broken in, I hope he is right. I still have the problem of the barrel getting loose, I had to retighten it 4 times today. I'll start another post for that problem.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
195 Posts
Green River said:
Today I shot 2 boxes (100 rounds) of Super X with 2 malfunctions. I also fired 50 rounds of CCI with no problems and about 200+ rounds of the Remington Golden Bullets with only 1 malfunction. All of these malfunctions were early in the shooting session and by the end of the day I was pouring ammo through it like milk! I don't think the problem is gone yet but this is WAY better than it has ever done before. Someone mentioned it needs to be broken in, I hope he is right. I still have the problem of the barrel getting loose, I had to retighten it 4 times today. I'll start another post for that problem.

Thanks,
David
Hey guy , hate to butt in but try tightning the barrel ring with one of the rubber loop wrenches that do not marr the finish if you get the set ( they are usely sold in sets ) put the larger one on the reciver the smaller one on the barrel nut, and carefuly tighten you wont break the butstock that way peeperx," clean the threads first they should be dry. " :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've owned a Browning take down .22RF (Japanese) for about 25 years also.

Excellent fit and finish, and rarely failed to function with any kind of long rifle ammo, standard or high velocity, Eley match or Thunderbolt el cheapo's.

It even fed .22 ratshot (Remington) semi-auto and I've never seen another semi-auto do that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
To "michlhll": the Buckmark pistols are fine pieces

To "michlhll": no, the buckmark pistols are fine pieces, they do not have jamming problems. If you poke around the forumn here, you'll find that nearly all owners are quite happy with them.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I bought a Belgium made Browning .22 Auto rifle about 30 years ago and it functioned flawlessly. I can't remember even one malfunction. I guess the Japenese version doesn't live up to the same standard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.