Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 Will the 60 work with sub-sonic ammo?

#2 Has anyone had any luck with the open sights?

510's shoot fine out of my rifle but I was just wondering if the subs would work. I have a scope on the rifle but want to take it off and just use the open sights. I've never even shot it without the scope so I'm curious to find out how it will do. The rifle is a knock around the woods gun so I want to keep it simple.

· Registered
926 Posts
Coincidentally, today I took my 60 to the range with three different kinds of Aguila ammo. The Supermaximum Hyper Velocity 30 gr. rounds were outstanding. I know ".22" and "recoil" aren't normally found in the same sentence, but the SHVs left the barrel with noticeably more enthusiasm than CCIs.

The Aguila SuperExtra 38 gr. subsonics would not cycle the action.

And, surprisingly, the 60 gr. Super SubSonics did cycle the action fine.

So to answer your question about subsonic ammo, it depends. :D

I put a scope on mine, but before that the iron sights worked fine. YMMV.

· Registered
3,399 Posts
"#1 Will the 60 work with sub-sonic ammo?"

Yes and no. Please refer to my thread - See "Basket Case's Latest Test" (that's the rifle's name, btw) here http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225093. I didn't note exactly which was and wasn't fully cycling, looking for accuracy that day.

"#2 Has anyone had any luck with the open sights?"

Yes, years ago, Glenfield M-60 + CCI Mini-Mags + a little luck = good groups for me. These days, if it's past five feet, l likely have a scope...LOL

· Registered
1,325 Posts
"#1 Will the 60 work with sub-sonic ammo?"

Yes and no. Please refer to my thread - See "Basket Case's Latest Test" (that's the rifle's name, btw) here http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225093. I didn't note exactly which was and wasn't fully cycling, looking for accuracy that day.

"#2 Has anyone had any luck with the open sights?"

Yes, years ago, Glenfield M-60 + CCI Mini-Mags + a little luck = good groups for me. These days, if it's past five feet, l likely have a scope...LOL
T
YOU SOUND LIKE ME,
I CAN'T SEE NO-GOOD EITHER:eek:
THANK GOD, FOR VARIBLE SCOPES!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
258 Posts
To answer your second question, yes, the open sights are quite reliable.

The thing that is needed, is a tool to "drift' the sight in it,s dovetail. The one best method is to buy a tool from Brownells known as a "sight pusher" ... They sell for about $25 .... Other than that, you can use a brass punch (about 1/4" diameter and a small tap hammer. when using this method, it is a good idea to place reference marks between the dovetail and the barrel ... Thus you can see how far (left or right) you have moved the sight.

Eleveation is much easier ... Simply slide the notched leaf up or down as needed.

I like to set my open sights at around 60 yards, and use "Kentucky windage" as targets vary in range.

· Registered
519 Posts
Coincidentally, today I took my 60 to the range with three different kinds of Aguila ammo. The Supermaximum Hyper Velocity 30 gr. rounds were outstanding. I know ".22" and "recoil" aren't normally found in the same sentence, but the SHVs left the barrel with noticeably more enthusiasm than CCIs.

I've experienced the same thing with my 60 and hyper velocity ammo. Mine seems to be the most accurate using Aguila hypers and CCI Stingers. The difference in accuracy between the hyper stuff and the bulk ammo (like Federal) is truely amazing.

· Registered
623 Posts
You should hear those Supermaximum's out of a Charger...freakin loud (for a 22LR), makes a completely different sound than all other 22LR I've shot.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
? 1 yes some times depending on the gun. I had one that loved Remmington Subsonics and another that would not cycle them at all.

?2 Yes out to 50 yards; it mostly depends upon your eyesite and wither or not you grew up shooting Iron Sites. :Blasting_

· Registered
867 Posts
? 1 yes some times depending on the gun. I had one that loved Remmington Subsonics and another that would not cycle them at all.

?2 Yes out to 50 yards; it mostly depends upon your eyesite and wither or not you grew up shooting Iron Sites. :Blasting_
Agreed.
I used to outshoot many a friend with iron sights, but that was 20 years ago.:eek: I was using a 40 year old single shot Winchester, and they had newer fancier stuff.:p

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

37 years old and I can still see the same as when I was 20.....Irons are not a problem.....

· Registered
926 Posts
You should hear those Supermaximum's out of a Charger...freakin loud (for a 22LR), makes a completely different sound than all other 22LR I've shot.
Oh yeah, that was the other thing. It might be my imagination, but I have a Henry .22 mag levergun, and I think those LR Supermaxes were almost as loud, and kicked* almost as much, as .22 mags. :eek:

(*"kicked" being a relative term :D )

· Registered
926 Posts
37 years old and I can still see the same as when I was 20.....Irons are not a problem.....
Thirty-seven?? Bwahahahahahahahaha! Give it another thirty or so and then let's see how good those eyes are, whippersnapper.:p When you get into silverback territory, it's a whole different world out there. What you can see of it, anyhow. :eek:

· Registered
519 Posts
Thirty-seven?? Bwahahahahahahahaha! Give it another thirty or so and then let's see how good those eyes are, whippersnapper.:p When you get into silverback territory, it's a whole different world out there. What you can see of it, anyhow. :eek:
I'm about right smack inbetwixed yous two age wise (I'm 50) and open sights would be totally worthless for me. I can still pretty much shoot fly chit off of pepper with a scope though.

· Registered
890 Posts
eyes

Try having your lens replaced-if your eyes have cadilacs(each eye for the docs fee)medicare pays 80%. Wife and I both had it done and I need cheaters for close but 20/15 farsight. The ceilings are white again intead of yellow, and the colors are again like a 37 year old. does good for the green monster too. Scopes are clearer, crosshairs are visible without adjusting paralax. Open sights again are usable!!! Good luck. Bill :) :bthumb: :Blasting_

· Registered
41 Posts
Returning to initial point.-

I have a new Marlin 60 SB .22lr and doesn´t cycle with Aguila subsonics.

Which one is the most recomended ammo for a new Marlin 60 (It has a hard cycling action) and enough precision is needed for 165 and 220 yd silhouettes.

I have tried Aguila High Velocity and Interceptors but action gets very dirty after 2 boxes, and with Hypervelocity some "recoil" show up.
Does somebody uses standard?

· Registered
485 Posts
Returning to initial point.-

I have a new Marlin 60 SB .22lr and doesn´t cycle with Aguila subsonics.

Which one is the most recomended ammo for a new Marlin 60 (It has a hard cycling action) and enough precision is needed for 165 and 220 yd silhouettes.

I have tried Aguila High Velocity and Interceptors but action gets very dirty after 2 boxes, and with Hypervelocity some "recoil" show up.
Does somebody uses standard?
High Velocity -The Winchester 40 Power Points (1280fps) & the Eley White Bunny(discontinued?) shot some of the better 10-15 shot groups in mine. I have a thread (page 2?) with a 50 (actual lasered 54 yards) yard 10 shot group which 7 of 10 went into the .4's . I had a target photo with the white bunny ammo in which about 12 of 15 shots went into one ragged dime sized hole at the same distance.

Sub Sonics & Distance- J.M.O. but.......this whole "b.c. change,drift,veloicty,etc.etc which makes a sub sonic more accurate down range than a high velocity when it crosses the sonic line..........equals out to a couple tenths of an inch at distances beyound say.....75 yards. Your wind judgement skills and the ammo's accuracy will play more than trying to force feed a gun that prefers high velocity into a sub sonic role.

Shoot what it prefers regardless of the label (high end or cheap end)/sticker(Eley or El-Cheap'o)/what you want vs the guns wants........this ain't the Olympics........the comp. is not that high nor cridical.

Maybe I just got a good lot of Winchester Power Points???? I purchased it for Woodchuck hunting (whacked a few now and it worked great) but the stuff shot paper well too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.