Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

2 dead starlings

479 3
well, we mowed the grass yesterday, and today there was about 20 starlings in our front yard munching on whatever there is in the grass. This is the first time I saw them this year in large numbers in our yard, so I let them graze for a while. 7 hours later they were still munching on the grass, so I grabbed my .22 and headed out to see if I could bag one.

The first one was a 41 yard shot. Caught it broadside, entrance hole right above one breast, exit hole the size of a half-dollar on the other side of the breast. It blew the wing backwards and left it totally disconnected from any other bones. Shot with CCI mini-mag hollow points and a 4x scope.

The second was the farthest i've shot one to date - 62 yards(gotta love that remington 581). I was having a hard time holding the barrel steady from a prone position, so I took both my shoes off and stacked them on top of eachother to use as a rest. they worked superb. Entrance and exit holes about the same place as the last one, only slighty higher up. Exit wound was the size of a quarter. The wing on the side of the exit wound was completely detached like the previous bird. Shot with CCI mini-mag hollowpoints and a 4x scope.

Been a good day - got my first 2 starlings of the year.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
CCI Mini-Mag HP

"It's the little things that kill" - Bush, CD 16 stone. Those little pills are powerful little varmint medicine. i took a 44 lb beaver once with them, also a few big marmots, tons of squirrels, rabbits & other furry edibles & non-edibles. oh yea, forgot about 40-50 prairie dogs in WY one time. :Blasting_ -Eric

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I was a kid, I couldn't yet drive, I was on x-mas break at my grandmothers and my mom took me out to a family farm with my pellet gun to kill some time and get outside. Well I found where they had loaded rice to the trucks and spilled some, 50-100 pounds, and it was COVERED with starlings. So I got behind a tree maybe 15-20 yards away and loaded my pellet gun with as many BBs as it could hold in the barrel and fired into the bunch. I got about 3 or 4 every shot. I did that for the afternoon. In two days I ended up with like 20 or 30 a day.

:t

God to go back and try that with my 12 gauge! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.