Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made it to the range today with the truckload of equipment needed to test ammo. What with hunting seasons and winter about to set in it was now or wait until spring.
While I shot quite a few different brands of ammo the focus of the testing was on SK/Wolf because of the keen interest you guys have in it's performance. There is also some interest in Federal auto-match so I sorted some and included it in the testing as well.
The only modifications made to the 597's are Volquartson hammers and I bought a replacement stock for the Target tech so it could be shot offhand as well as the TVP. I thought it would be more difficult to shoot good groups with the TVP stocks but such was not the case, with a little practice they work just fine. I did discover that one can shoot much better groups holding pressure down on top of the scope with your left hand negating the"bolt slap".
All the Wolf/SK shot in the tests is current production from Midway in the last 6 weeks. The Auto-match is 2 different lot numbers from Wal-mart this spring.
Some conclusions from the tests today.
Lot to lot differences in auto-match make it unusable for silhouette in the 597's, it shoots much better in my 541-T.
Standard plus shot very good in both guns but Wolf match extra is absolutely wonderful!! If you can afford the extra 2.00 a box buy it. I took quite a few pictures and will post them down the line.

·
Premium Member
1,137,213 Posts
Looking good. I'm looking forward to the targets.
Twice I got "caught" resting the off hand on the scope and got fingers tagged by the bolt handle. The 2nd time it was a Mini14 and that kinda cured me. :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the center bottom target, you would expect that kind of accuracy from an Anschutz or Walther but from two different remington 597's at about a third the price of a target bolt gun. These little guns really shoot well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great stuff Kevin, and yea, isn't that wolf match extra just something else?
I mean, I'm sure you had a part in that performance as well :p But seriously, very nice shooting.

I got out to the range Sunday and was testing the Lapua/SK standard plus, and fell in love again. Since I cant get WME up here, I will just have to settle for this stuff :p It shot just awesome out of my 597 (only @ 25yrds, the 50 yrd wasn't open)

Thanks for the higher end ammo range report :)

Cheers,

Derek

·
Premium Member
1,137,213 Posts
You must be left handed?
Sorta. I do one or the other, and on some I'm ambidextrous. I throw R and bat L. My father made me shoot righty so that's the way I shoot but I practice sometimes lefty to keep my mind busy and it helps coyote hunting as they love to come in on the wrong side, Murphy's Law ya know.
While my mind was busy the fingers didn't pay attention and got a smart rap from the charger handle. It reminded me of others getting the M14 thumb in boot camp. :eek: :D
Nice groups. Think I'm gonna try some Eley Club Extra next if Bass Pro got some. Got to make an order call this am for a beam scale and fish line.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dave B. is the local match director, he one of the finest offhand shooters any of us have ever known and proves it on an ongoing basis here and around the country. When asked he offered to shoot several magazines at various silhouette targets and was completely impressed with the ergonomics and accuracy of the 597's.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great stuff Kevin, and yea, isn't that wolf match extra just something else?
I mean, I'm sure you had a part in that performance as well :p But seriously, very nice shooting.

I got out to the range Sunday and was testing the Lapua/SK standard plus, and fell in love again. Since I cant get WME up here, I will just have to settle for this stuff :p It shot just awesome out of my 597 (only @ 25yrds, the 50 yrd wasn't open)

Thanks for the higher end ammo range report :)

Cheers,

Derek
Sorted standard plus shoots very good, I sort them to the 2/10ths, the weights that seem to group the best are 51.7/51.8 and the 51.9/52.0. Those little electronic scales sold by Midway work quite well. About 40.00.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Nice range report and great photos. The look on that dude's face says it all. :bthumb:

I'm going to have to come down and check out that shooting range some time. :t

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Let me know I'll bring a Mossberg that'll get you all worked up.
Don't be afraid to add to the photo thread in the Mossberg forum. :bthumb:

I am intrigued though... just about any Mossberg gets me worked up. :D Cheap accurate guns, what could be better? Hey, sounds like the 597s that we all love. :)

Mossbergs are scarce in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it ever stops raining and the sun comes out I'll take a picture of it and post it.
I'ts a 151M with the original scope and sling, about 95% {a few scratches in the wood} with all the flip up sights and a very honest gun. It must have set in someones closet since it was new because it looked unfired when I got it. I've shot about a half a carton of ammo out of it and am impressed with the accuracy.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.