Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1st 10/22 in 40 yrs.

363 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  AK
Today I picked up a carbine at Wally World because my wife liked its looks. I tried to talk her out of it because I had 2 of them (in the '60s IIRC). Both were POS's and shot 6" groups at 50', benchrest. There were a lot of mods mentioned on the board and I was going to try all of them if I could get a decent rifle out of the deal. First I wanted to see how this piece of crap would group straight from the box (I did clean the bore and put on a scope). INCREDIBLE!!! At 40 yds., benchrest, it would group within a dime. I didn't even get around to removing the barrel band! Shot up the whole 550 rounds of the Remington bulk ammo without a single malfunction. To get performance like this is the reason I stuck with a bolt gun. I have an extended mag release, bolt buffer, and an automatic bolt release sitting in front of me now but only plan on the bolt buffer, the other stock parts work flawlessly. The trigger pull is a different story, very crisp, but Hard, I think I hurt my shoulder pulling it 550 times, LOL. I'll lighten it up after I've worn in the gun a little.

Thanks to everyone on this board for promoting this great little rifle,

Jim
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,981 Posts
VQ hammer and spring kit will do wounder's for you..
The first thing my son said this spring when he shot his new one was..
Dad,, my trigger's not anything like your's..
Mine got a good polish job threw out the innard's 27 year's ago..
When I shot it, I thought the safety was still on.
The VQ Hammer Kit with Spring's is a worthwhile investment.
I did two of them this morning ,and added the buffer's too..
World of difference..
Jed

· Registered
1,353 Posts
Glad you like it Jim.

In my "stock" 10/22, I have a buffer, mag release, and quick bolt release as the only add-ons. Welllll.... and I modified the trigger and bolt myself. But those 3 parts you have are certainly "must-do's" - I would put 'em in and shoot until the end of time.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
If you have an extended mag release I would stick it in. Makes a world of difference and won't affect your accuracy.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MinusB said:
Glad you like it Jim.

In my "stock" 10/22, I have a buffer, mag release, and quick bolt release as the only add-ons. Welllll.... and I modified the trigger and bolt myself. But those 3 parts you have are certainly "must-do's" - I would put 'em in and shoot until the end of time.
Thanks, I think I will, otherwise I wouldn't know what I was missing. I wonder if ammo would make that much difference in groups. When I got my 1st 10/22 I was shooting on a team and got free government ammo. Maybe it wasn't any good. Oh, well.

Jim

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Rimfire rifles are picky on the ammo they like.

Government supply....built/made by the cheapest bidder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.