Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 1980s I began shooting BR50 at my gun club. I bought a benchrest rifle put together by a young fellow from Georgia (my problem is all paperwork was lost in an accident) whose name was “Tim McSomething” who as I remember built them from East German Suhl barreled actions fitted to a benchrest stock. I bought the rifle along with a case of Eley Benchrest Gold ammo the lot # of which grouped well in the rifle. I was all set for the upcoming BR50 season, except one problem-Larry Brown up and died. No more BR50. No more rimfire benchrest at our club. I moved on to other disciplines but now want to organize rimfire benchrest at my gun club. hope my story might help someone suggest who the gunsmith
might have been. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have one of those Jim Williams Suhl 22 LR rifles. It looks identical to the one in the picture above.
It is scary accurate. The locals do not like it much when I bring it to a 50/50 or a 100 meter Benchrest match. I put a Harrels tuner on it, and 50M 5-shot groups are generally in the .1s and .2s
Whatever they did to them, it works! Dave.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had one with the blue/black stock built by Tim McWhorter back in the day. t was a Grade 10 gun. I used income tax refund money to pay for it, lol. He personally delivered it to me and the transfer was done on our club range right before our BR50 match. He shot in the match. I sold the gun few years later. Those were the good ole days.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
In the 1980s I began shooting BR50 at my gun club. I bought a benchrest rifle put together by a young fellow from Georgia (my problem is all paperwork was lost in an accident) whose name was "Tim McSomething" who as I remember built them from East German Suhl barreled actions fitted to a benchrest stock. I bought the rifle along with a case of Eley Benchrest Gold ammo the lot # of which grouped well in the rifle. I was all set for the upcoming BR50 season, except one problem-Larry Brown up and died. No more BR50. No more rimfire benchrest at our club. I moved on to other disciplines but now want to organize rimfire benchrest at my gun club. hope my story might help someone suggest who the gunsmith
might have been. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ARA was formed when BR-50 folded, now the most popular benchrest matches. Those Suhls were great rifles in their day, today they will be hard pressed to finish above middle of the pack. Rebarrel and you have a rifle about as good as it gets. Check out American Rimfire Association. Matches at Chickenfoot range this Friday eve. and Saturday am. Cedartown, GA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts