Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1963 Impala

2860 110
Picked up a new project or resale Car a couple weeks ago..May keep it, may not..

It has sat for about 30 plus years in their yard....But I got it running, new plug wires, plugs, fuel pump, new tires,oil change etc..Engine sounds great..It is a 283 CI with a three on the tree..Fun to drive.Drives great...I am sure the motor is original to the Car..They were the second owner is all..

Interior is rather rough sitting and baking in the Sun for years..But it is a pretty solid/straight Body..Just do not know if I have another project left in me though..It is a Silver Poly paint, but not much left to that..Shame they let it set out that long..Was probably pretty nice when it was parked..

I thought for 1500.00 it really does not matter if I keep it or sell it..

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Tire
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I could put a Driver Quality paint job on it myself for well under 500.00..I am a pretty fair painter..I do have a Muncie M21 laying around here..Hmmmm...Probably will not do that though..

Really cool Pickups...

I have owned probably atleast 15 Antique and Vintage Vehicles in my days..All the way from a 1928 Chevy to a 1970 Buick Skylark and in between..My Dream one I will never get is a 1970 Yellow or White Buick GSX Stage One with the 455 and 4 speed..Man I want that car bad..

· Registered
189 Posts
I could put a Driver Quality paint job on it myself for well under 500.00..I am a pretty fair painter..I do have a Muncie M21 laying around here..Hmmmm...Probably will not do that though..

Really cool Pickups...

I have owned probably atleast 15 Antique and Vintage Vehicles in my days..All the way from a 1928 Chevy to a 1970 Buick Skylark and in between..My Dream one I will never get is a 1970 Yellow or White Buick GSX Stage One with the 455 and 4 speed..Man I want that car bad..
The paint issue is the cost of materials unless you're using Rustoleum.
My last base/clear job cost a little over [email protected] for the clear and that didn't include activator.
It's ridiculous now.
Used to buy Dupont single stage kits with harder for $400 and paint an entire vehicle.

· Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Unless you do what Areodolor did to the front suspension to that old Ford truck.......they will always drive like an old car or truck. We have a tendency to forget the way they were. We only remember the good. I love my R/T but it drives like an old car. It's fine to drive to a car show but not much more than that.

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I have no problem with the way the old Cars ride and Drive..Yes Mopars were kinda a exception in the ride and driving department..One thing I really like about the old Cars is they are simple Machines, and a simple Machine is a reliable Machine.

.My 60s Buicks were the best riding and driving of them all..My 69 Sport Satellite not so much. This Impala rides and drives pretty nice..Would I want to drive it across the Country, probably not.But I have driven my 1965 and 1970 Skylarks half way acroos the Country, no problem...

I only use single stage Acrylic Urethane Paints..I have never messed with base coat clear coats, and do not care too..I think alot of people are going back to single stage VS the clears..Single stage paints have come a long way, than what they were in the old days..Yes if you are building a show Car, base coat clear coat may be the way to go..But for a daily driver..Single stage is it for me..

· Premium Member
37,657 Posts
Nice Al...You did that paint? Your car?
25yr? old repaint before I bought it out of a barn and put a wad into the engine, re-chrome, interior, wheels, rocker repair with rocker re-paint... and had the body polished out. The previous owner took it for a spin and stuck it in the barn and took the key out. I sold it 6-7yrs ago and got what I had into it plus 12yrs of summer driving.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
Love the "simulated" convertible top pleats in the roofline of these.
Dad bought a '62 Olds Starfire from a coworker for $50 in ~1975. It had those fake pleats too. I thought it was a really cool car. My friends, not so much, lol.

Mom's daily driver into the early 80s, and the car she drove me to the DMV in to take the test for my 1st licence. They made cars with style back then...

41 - 60 of 111 Posts