Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1940 German K98 - Soviet Capture

618 5
Had this German K98 for a couple years. It's a pretty typical Soviet capture that received a Soviet refurb sometime post-WWII. Just like all the Soviet Mosin Nagants that were refurbed post-WWII, this K98 was given an ugly coat of red shellac. Sometimes the shellac is applied thick. Other times, it's fairly light and starts to peel away. This K98 was not only victim to the shellac, but also a victim of a light coat that had began to peel away. It was becoming a mess in my gunsafe. I used to maintain the opinion that I'd be destroying the history if I removed the shellac, but I recently heard a new perspective on the matter; that if I removed the shellac, I'd be returning the history that the Soviets covered up. I liked that perspective a lot, so I ended up doing a bit of work to the stock. Removed the shellac with oven cleaner. Gave the stock a light wash with warm water & Murphy's Oil Soap. Let dry for a few days. Applied a few coats of BLO. Lastly, I applied a coat of Tom's 1/3 Military Gun Stock Wax. Very happy with how the stock turned out. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for looking.
Wood Rectangle Trigger Font Office ruler

Wood Plant Rectangle Brick Wall

Wood Reptile Office ruler Hardwood Scaled reptile

Wood Plant Door Font Office ruler
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Came out nice, I have an RC and am quite happy with it. Mine got the heavy coat and I cleaned that stuff off years ago.

You did a great job.

They are fun shooters, but "full power" 8mm will let you know you pulled the trigger on something.

· Registered
482 Posts
I wanted to add one more thing on the "altering history". Usually I am on board with keeping bubba away from anything and everything. This I see as very different. Really no more then a basic clean up. You are not going to pass it off as something it is not.....cough Mitchels Mausers....cough. So let it be pretty in its own "real" way. I have some things that are old like this that looked like they came off the showroom floor yesterday....then some things that are.....well used I will say. Both have a place, and depending on what you are looking at and want depends on the thing you buy.

Perfect example is, I bought an old Blue Sky import years go....an M1 Garand. For those that don't know these came out of Korea years ago, and really defined rode hard and put away wet. Collectors poo pooed them to no end. I wanted one. There is little doubt these rifles played some part in the Korean war and that was just what I wanted. This poor rifle has more bumps and bruises then a pro wrestler, but it had that history.

Fast forward to today and oddly enough they are seen as Korean war collectable, and finding one with the original stocks and barrels is quite hard and they command a good price....they are all stupid priced now, but that is another thread.

Don't fret about cleaning her up, she is a grand old girl that just needed the dirt cleaned off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts