Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1924 52 Update w/ pictures

2106 36
Hi Sirs,
A few days ago I was asking questions about a 1924 model 52..here it is. I bought it for $325, I know that it's not a steal of a deal or a collectible rifle in this condition but thought that it would be fun to work on. The stock was shortened about 1 inch but then later the piece that was removed was re-attached to the stock, see picture 2.

This rifle is guite a bit rougher than most of the rifles in my collection but what the heck..it's over 80 years old.

Can someone please tell me what the correct sights are for this model?

Take care,
Rob
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
6,886 Posts
Wow. They butchered the back base, which is a Unertl Posas type. Too many sights to mention here but the standard was the M82-A flip sight rear, and the M93 front sight. Several options were available. My # 4419 (1925) has a M82-A rear and a late M17, not M17-A, front. One of the early Lyman 48's that slide into the receiver would be correct too. These are scarce. This is # 4419 with a 1925 vintage Cleveland address Fecker # 1182.
Big Larry:D :D :D :D

· Registered
647 Posts
Thanks for the info BigL, I'll keep my eyes open for some sights.

Is it worth the $325?
Wow! I can't speak for Big Larry but if I'd spotted that gun for $325, I'd have bought it in a heart beat! That's a great project rifle!!!

· Registered
6,886 Posts
Joe, get the Gun Broker stock if it is correct. That is a very nice rifle and with the stock, it can be restored. Sights are easy to find, but the stocks are harder. Must be the finger groove type with the rounded pistol grip. You never mentioned the serial number?? Also, how is the magazine marked?? Big Larry:D :D :D

· Registered
6,886 Posts
Auction Arms, Gun Brokers, all have sights from time to time. Be ready to pay though. Some are not cheap especially if you are trying to get period sights.
Check the measurement of the bases center to center. Any more than 6" and they have been added later. Some rifles with the low number have no provision for blocs. Your magazine would have been originally marked with the 1919 patent date. If you take it apart, let me know what the bbl. date is. Under the BBL. at 6 o'clock on the receiver end. If you find out exactly what you want for sights, call Larry Sabin @ (541-347-2161) in Oregon. He is a great guy and usually has what you need. Big Larry:D :D :D :cool: :cool: :t :) :bthumb: :eek: :mad:

· Registered
977 Posts
Sights for your M52

If you are trying to find sights to fit your rifle, you have a couple of options. The correct front sight is a Lyman 17A. Brownells sells various heights here. The dovetails mounted to the barrel can also be sourced from Brownells here. Since yours is even older than mine, getting the correct rear ladder sight will be a little difficult. For that piece, you will have to do some hunting. Here is a side view of the correct rear sight for that rifle.

· Registered
6,886 Posts
The correct sight is a Winchester 93B and the Lyman 17-A didn't come out until 1929, long after your rifle was made. It would appear that your rifle has been D&T'ed after the fact, as an early rifle with factory bases would be 6" center to center. The rifle cannot be "restored" to original, but makes a great basis for a Sporter or a very accurate shooter, and at $325 you will never lose $$$ on the deal. Aziza, what kind of scope do you have on that M52 of yours? Cannot tell by photo. Big Larry:D :D :D :eek: :eek: :t :) :p :bthumb:

· Registered
6,886 Posts
I am what you may call a Fecker Freak. Three of my M52's have them attached and they are period to the rifles. Still, I am looking for a very nice,at least 98%, Lyman 5A. Top is a M52-A with and early 1 1/2" Fecker and the bottom is a M52-B with a 1 5/8" Champion Fecker. Big Larry:D :bthumb: :p :cool: :eek: :) :t

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great looking set up Sir..thanks for the pictures.

I've got a line on about a 95% (if my memory is correct) US marked 52D for $1,025 shipped that I'm waiting to send payment on.

This is the only scope that I have that is similar,,haven't decided what I'm going to put in on yet..It's like new.

· Registered
6,886 Posts
I have one of those as well. # 15194. Shipped 11-1955. The original wood box and scope are marked USAFA, for the US Air Force Academy. Looks real good on my M52-C, also made in 1955 and US marked. What is your serial number? It will really look good on your M52-D. This US marked M52-D was found in a locker at the CMP a year after sales ended. Imagine my luck. I got it from the original purchaser for $500 after he put the sights and handstop on it. Big Larry:eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :t :t :t

· Registered
6,886 Posts
I have one of those as well. # 15194. Shipped 11-1955. The original wood box and scope are marked USAFA, for the US Air Force Academy. Looks real good on my M52-C, also made in 1955 and US marked. What is your serial number? It will really look good on your M52-D. This US marked M52-D was found in a locker at the CMP a year after sales ended. Imagine my luck. I got it from the original purchaser for $500 after he put the sights and handstop on it. Big Larry:eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :t :t :t

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another great looking rifle at a great price but of course you already know that..I only have a few Wincesters, I was mainly a Remington guy but I recently became interested in the 52's.

My serial number is 14047...You have any info on it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.