Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1922 Model 39 help

416 9
I know the answer is here, in fact I know I read it but forgot. :D Too busy to look it up.

I'm going to look at what the guy says is a 1922 Model 39.

My question is, can a 39 be narrowed down to being made in 1922. I'm thinking the early ones had a S prefix for a few years. I could be mistaken.

How do I know it is a 1922?

Thanks. :t
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just looked at the 2008 Bluebook:

MODEL 39 LEVER ACTION
- .22 S, L, or LR cal., 24 in. octagon barrel with tube mag., open sights, takedown, case hardened receiver and lever, S-shaped pistol grip stock, bluing on barrel, forend tip, mag. tube, bolt, hammer, and screws, various qualities of walnut (X, 2X, or 3X), hard rubber buttplate. Approx. 40-50,000 mfg. 1922-38.

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
N/A N/A $3,000 $2,500 $2,100 $1,600 $1,300

Early models with fancy 2X-3X wood will bring a considerable premium.
Excellent original condition in this model is extremely hard to find since most specimens were well used due to the 16/25 shell mag. capacity, reliability, and the fact that the balance point of the gun (the receiver) normally wore first due to carrying wear. Earlier guns without a prefix or with an "S" prefix are noted for their superior workmanship and fine finish. Later "HS" prefix (High Speed) are not quite as valuable as these earlier guns.

· Registered
7,256 Posts
Be very careful utitlizing the BB. It is full of BIG inaccuracies. If you look at the Model 1897, they say to add a premium if it is a "takedown". The only problem is that ALL 1897's are takedowns. There are no serial number records past 1906, so..............

1922-1926 no letter prefix
1926-1932 "S" prefix
1932-1938 "HS" prefix

The inspectors "star" started in 1926 and was on almost every rifle made until WW2. I saw it on the inside receiver of a "B" prefix 39A.

1924 is when the Marlin bullseye started....again IIRC, not all rifles actually had them.

A first year rifle should have:
1. an ivory bead front sight
2. push button latch magazine tube, but the older 1897 latch is possible on a 1st year rifle
3. No bullseye
4. "Marlin" in an oval, on the buttplate
5. The ejector should not have the locking rivet like the 39A
6. The rear sight was a Rocky Mountain, with the "harpoon" elevator
7. Only the tang was d&t'd. The top of the receiver had one screw, for the cartridge guide.

The more BRIGHT "vivid" case, the higher the value. BB pricing may be way off for your region. I've never been able to figure out where they get their Marlin pricing.:confused:

Hope this helps

If Marlinguy stops by he can clarify/correct/add to what I have posted.;)

· Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you vepr! :bthumb:

That's exactly what I need to know before I go to look at this rifle tomorrow.

I'll print it out and take it with me. If it's a nice one I tend to get sweaty and forgetful and I start convincing myself that I need it.:D He says it's a 1922, I want to be sure he's right.

· Registered
3,878 Posts
vepr posts

Ditto on that statement 22AGS.
vepr is a walking encyclopedia about these guns. vepr...you really should consider writing a Marlin Collector book with photos and values. I'd buy it for sure! I know one thing...we'd all be chunkin' rocks at the BB for Marlin info.

Kix:D

· Registered
7,256 Posts
Ditto on that statement 22AGS.
vepr is a walking encyclopedia about these guns. vepr...you really should consider writing a Marlin Collector book with photos and values. I'd buy it for sure! I know one thing...we'd all be chunkin' rocks at the BB for Marlin info.

Kix:D
Thanks guys, but I really know squat compared to Marlinguy/Marlinman93. I could never repay him, for all the knowledge he has been kind enough to pass on to me. If it's a pre-WW1 Marlin, he either knows the answer or owns the variant/configuration to look at, for the answer. (Models 1881,1883,1889,1891,1892,1893,1894,1895, and don't forget the Marlin Ballard's)

· Registered
340 Posts
You sweet talker vepr762!:eek: Don't sell yourself short! Your knowledge of Marlin .22's is certainly as good, or better than mine!
Just one thing to add. The post 1930 model 39 dropped the bullseye to save money during the Depression era, so no Bullseye from around 1930-38.

· Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vepr,

Now the seller has thrown a wrench in to the works.

I called him to arrange to see this rifle and ask a few questions before I drive 40 miles to see it. He now says it is a 1924, claims the ad was wrong.

I am assuming the 1924 should be almost the same as the 1922. But you know what happens when one assumes. :D

A 1924 should have the Bullseye. Anything else to say it is actually a 1924? Anything to look for?

I guess it's not as big of a deal with it being a 1924. A first year production 1922 is something I wanted to make sure of before I bought it.

I am wondering though...how can he know it is a 1924?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.