Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I ran across a 1903 model today in a pawn shop, never seen one before. It seems to be in fairly good shape, the color of the wood is almost black, with a crack near the but-plate. What would a gun like this be worth, and what should I look to be wrong with a piece like this? They want $150.00 for it. What are the differences in the ammo compaired to long rifle? Are they longer or wider or what:confused:

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Obsolete Cartridge

80 MONZTA,

I would pass on it...! ! :(

The 1903 was superceded by the 63 in 1933...! ! :eek:

The .22 Win Auto cartridge has been obsolete since WWII...! !

And, the 1903 was the ONLY rifle chambered for the .22 Win Auto, so finding ammo at a price you can afford to shoot is next to impossible.

If you like the style of the rifle, look for a used 63, or one of the Winchester repro's, or the Taurus 63...! ! :)

I have an original Winchester 63 and love it...! ! It is the most reliable .22LR auto ever made...! ! :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I looked at the gun again today. It's in worse condition than I remember yesterday, It has obvious rebluing. Plus the lack of ammo would drive me nuts, because if I'm gonna own it, I have to shoot it. Good thing I didn't jump into that one. I really do like the look of that rifle. Does the 63 Winchester, or Taurus look IDENTICAL to the 1903, or just close?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The Winchester 63 has a slightly longer barrel and a different rear sight, but otherwise is identical. If you can find a nice 63 for under $400, you're having a great day!!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.