Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1903 or 54.18 or ??? for casual bench shooting?

396 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  talyons83814
Advice needed, please. I'd like to get an Anschutz for some fun benchrest shooting at 50- and 100-yard paper targets. Is the 54 action a ton better than the 64? Thanks!

Tom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
the 54.18 is a very very fine rifle and is a repeater.do you need or want a repeater??.your other choices are 2013 or 2007 or a mass of 54`s all single shot guns.i guess it is a question of HOW SERIOUS DO YOU WANT TO GET???dollar wise!!!.but all of the above imho would be better than a 64 action.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
I think it would depend on how casual the bench shooting you wish to do.

For most purposes, the 64 actioned rifle will fill the bill very nicely, but the 1903 is a position rifle. You might be better off with a 64 MP or MPR, the stock would be better suited to your stated needs.

Yes, the 54 actions are nicer, stiffer and used on superior rifles, but at twice the money. Untill you get into reasonably serious competition, the 64's are more than up to the job.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
64 Ms R?

Thanks for the advice, fellas! Sounds like the 64 action will do the job for me. Just want to make small holes and I don't care if anyone is watching or recording it. I get the message that a "position" rifle like the 1903 is not for benchrest. I see that a "silhouette" stock like the 64 MS R has a flat forestock and I like a pistol grip. Will that do? ---Tom

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

steinie said:
It should do just fine... I love the stocks on my 54.18's, and they are silhouette rifles as well. 64 MS R's are sweet rifles.
I have a druell spot on page 74 of my Anschutz catalog where the 54.18 is displayed. I'm afraid to ask what a new one would cost. I have an old Savage-Anschutz 54 Sporter and its action is the smoothest of any rifle I own. Never had a 64 action.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.