Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am bored I am redoing a 1890 winchester take down pump 22. I am looking to get new inleted wood unfinished in at least aa or better. I am also looking to find a octogn barrel blank for a reasonable price.Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Winchester 1890

Bob's gunshop

Numrich Gun Parts

When was your rifle manufactured?

Bob's has the crescent butt stock for the 1890's.
Boyd's and Numrich sell the wood also, but they are modeled after the 1906 (flat butt stock).
I'm not sure if any of them have the quality wood your looking for though.

Numrich sells the finished barrels (not sure about the blanks).
Plus they should have any screws that you may need during your restoration.

I just recently picked up my first Winchester 1890 it is in to good of shape to restore without dropping the value. I would really like to get another one (in fair condition) so I could restore too. (Anyone have one they want to sell?)

Good luck and keep us posted, I am really interested in seeing the before, during and after photos.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You might try checking Great American Gunstocks for the wood--they have some great wood and stocks on their site. I'm not sure they have exactly what you need but it's be worth a look. Gun Parts might have a replica barrel?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Precision Gun Works

Has a AA replica in stock for about $150. They sell a blued replica steel butt plate for $50. The 1890 in .22 short is a real fun gun and makes indoor shooting a pleasure. The weakest point of this gun is the shell carrier spring, next is the half cock notch in the hammer. Weisner's sells new shell carrier springs for $2.50 and a hammer in good shape goes for $25. The breech bolts are like a tank but the firing pin stops are fragile. The action slides are durable. The receiver grooves tend to wear out before the breech bolt so check that the grooves are only about .005 larger than the breech bolt rails. Finding a 1890 barrel with perfect rifling is kind of rare but there are a few, I have even seen some NIB still wrapped in paper from Winchester.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Reline the ORIGINAL barrel??

Another option if the old barrel is in good external shape would be to bore out the old bore and put in a barrel liner, = Dixie Gun Works Inc. sells .22RF liners and the instructions on how to do the installation.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just got my 1906 (very similar to the 1890) back last night. I had my local gun smith re-line the barrel, detail the gun and reblue all the metal parts. I refinish all the wood myself. I have not had a chance to take some after pictures yet but here is a link to the before pictures.

Pictures of 1906

I picked the gun up super cheap at the local Gander Mountains used gun rack. I ran the serial number and it dates from about 1916. The bore was in really bad shape but everything else was is pretty good shape

The few parts I needed (a few screws) I ordered from Numrich Gun Parts. I got good service from them.

I fired about 20 Aguila Super Colibra through it last night in my basement and it shot good. It did not like feeding the pointed rounds but it shot them good. I hopefully will get out and shoot some real 22 ammo through it. I think a regualar round nose bullet will feed better.

I will also take some after pictures and post a link when I get a change.

I had mention to my gun smith when we started this project about puting a new barrel on it. The present one was badly pitted internally and the chamber was worn badly. He said that it would only be a little bit more money to put a sleeve in the barrel and putting a sleeve in the barrel would hurt the collectors value less then a new barrel. My still has all the original stamping on the barrel. He also thought the sleeves shot as good or better then the 1906 orginal barrels.

Later
mcb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.