Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm ready to pick up a new bbl. This 10/22 will strictly be a paper-puncher. Very little competition (if any), mainly a fun-gun.

I'm looking at a GM from Stafford Sales.

Using whatever ammo it ends up liking best, is there any advantage to a 20" bbl? I prefer the look of an 18", but I can change.;)

Same thing for the fluting, this will not be a "carry" type rifle, just off hand or bench work at the range. No serious rapid-fire stuff either. Are the weight/cooling advantages worth the extra for just a fun-gun?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Barrel Length

Probably no difference in accuracy. If anything, the advantage should go to the shorter tube since it is stiffer. I like my 18". It is plenty heavy to shoot well offhand or from the bench, but a little lighter and easier to handle than the longer barrels. Fluting is not necessary, especially if it is not a "carry" rifle. I carry mine in a hogue stock all day long in the Georgia Summer heat sometimes -- it is not a burden.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Fluted will give you less weight.... 18" will give you less weight. Totally your preference as to how ell you function with how much weight offhand. As far as bench, you want the 20" heavy or fluted doesn't make much difference....Just looks cooler.

P.S. No offense to Stafford sale, but check out www.riflebarrelsupply.com first. XF2 (owner) normally has really good prices on GM's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.