Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK stole a mech pencil from my daughter ripped the spring out
and put it in. works fine.
But im still not impressed with the trigger.
Is the Rifle Basix trigger wider than the stock marlin trigger?
Active Duty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is another idea you might try. I also bought a Marlin, the 17V, and it had the typical factory trigger. Upon inspecting the trigger assembly while cleaning, I realized how simple and easy the Marlin trigger is to work on. I spent less than an hour deburring the various surfaces with a fine file for the really rough stuff and a number on flat stones. between 220 and 600 grit, and sharpening oil. When I checked it with my RCBS trigger scale, it was between 2 1/4 and 2 3/8 pounds. Next I replace only the factory trigger spring with one I took from a cheap ball point pen. Now my trigger is a very light and crisp 12 to 14 ounces and really makes a difference in the size of my groups, most close to 1/2" using the CCI ammo that my Marlin prefers. I realize that 12 ounces may be a little light for field use, but it only take a couple of minutes to reinstall the factory sping.

With these modifications I have had no trouble with removing the bolt and the weapon does not discharge when bumped smartly on the carpet.

My Marlin 17V's trigger was so tight in the mounting post that it was one place that I used the fine file. Before that I had to loosen the sear screw to slide the trigger in place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sort of a similiar experience. My trigger was bound up like yours. The holes must be off a bit, 'cuase there are not threads on the other side. I thought it might be the safety, but after removing that the trigger was still bound up. I took a bit off the right side of the trigger, through the hardening with a stone, and it is still snug but is not pinched. Now I can put a softer spring in there.

I'm not getting your results, but with new spring I am getting 2.25 lbs at the tip of the trigger. That is about right for my needs. Too soft a spring could be a problem from what I have seen.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is the Rifle Basix trigger wider than the stock marlin trigger?

Active Duty: I will have to pull the two trigger assy out and measure them, but I had no problems at all in droping the RBT into the place of the factory Marlin one. Took may 4 to 5 minutes to do, and that included removing the stock from the action. Hey with four (4) left paws, if I can do it, it must be pretty easy.

:eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coyote

"I will have to pull the two trigger assy out and measure them"

Dont go to that much work!

Does it feel better on the finger?

My factory trigger is allmost sharp. I have been honing and polishing more and the pull is still stiff starting to lean toward your advice and just get the Rifle Basix trigger.

My BKL mount should be here any day. I with the 261.

Active Duty

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok had my home trigger job all done and ws preaty pleased with it
got my BKL mount in, got everything mounted and ready to go.
Spent the day today at the range shooting. Shot GREAT I love this gun,
BUT
That trigger is going Im getting the Rifle Basix, trigger job felt good at home but with the gun bagged up shooting ammo just was not good enough.
Active Duty

·
Registered
497 Posts
Now im a gunsmith!

Just installed the rifle basix ($124.00) Canadian, on my 17vs had to file lightly on post assm.
TOO SWEET!! E-Z too!!
Its like day and night.
To top it off I had a gunsmith sweeten' the original trigger, and it was better, but rough by comparison to the other.
Money well spent on Basix...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.