Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Dipodomys,

Welcome to Rimfire Central

Here in Arizona you can get ammo with three exceptions.

-You buy a gun and then you can buy one box of ammo.

-Limit to boxes per customer per shipment.

-You can buy as many as I have if you pay my ridiculous price.

So if you want it lots of it for cheap order it thats the only reasonable solution I can come up with. :t

·
Registered
353 Posts
People are getting screwed on 17 HMR ammo!

Get scalped or wait 4 to 6 week mail order. We can send a man to the moon quicker than I can get ammo at a reasonable price here in Illinois.

Mike

·
Registered
737 Posts
Galyans here in Virginia had boxes of it. No .17 HMR rifles though. I talked to the gun section manager, he said that Marlin was only selling .17 HMR's rifles if they bought 4 big bore rifles for each .17 they ordered. He didn't want to play that game and have a bunch of Marlins sitting around until next fall for deer season.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Actually, the deal that Marlin had going on was....

Buy 5 Lever-Action Marlin Centerfires and you get 2 Marlin 17VS's for Free!

The smart dealers ;) (and those with a lot of money) bought the 5 lever-actions and sold them at cost or just a little bit above and then sold the 17VS's that they got for $300+.

Instant $600+ profit for anyone, as long as you have the money for the initial Lever-actions.

Great deal, if you had the money!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't own a .17 so I haven't really been paying too much attention but I was at a gun store in Ashland OH last week and noticed they had several dozens boxes. Is this a regional thing?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't own a 17HMR, and don't plan to...but sitt'n on the sidelines and seeing what's going on with the 17HMR ammo (I check the prices everywhere I go and the low seems to be about $10.00/box,), can anyone say "hosed"? The question I have is that even when supply has caught up with demand, will the prices really come down? Just sitt'n here think'n....

Rocky

·
Registered
480 Posts
I went to one of the local retailers and they told me that they are going to raise prices. Apparently the distributor is raising prices on 17HMR ammo so they have to as well.

So the price was 9.99 it's now 10.99 and they said they are only getting 4-5 boxes at a time.

I thought as time progressed thing would get a little better or at least stay the same but I find that it's getting worse. :mad:

Come on CCI and Remington get it together and distribute some ammo. :t

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If that is true, I think it's a load of B.S.!

If Hornady and CCI could produce it and sell it to dealers for $6.43/box six months ago, it should have only gotten cheaper by now.

They have had time to refine everything and are probably producing the ammo at atleast 2X the rate that they were when they first began......

I'd ask to see the price that the dealers are paying for it now!

What a JOKE!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Viper,

I know the owner and employees very well and I know what they pay for it. They are raising the price only becuase they're "crook of a distributor". They must pass the increase on to make some profit. They're previous price was 7.50 a box (they're cost).

I am fortunate enough that I will not have to pay the 10.99 a box. I also will not have to be on they're first come first serve bases.

It is on the other hand unfortunate that I need special treatment just to get a few boxes of ammo at a reasonable price. :(

I find this unfair to others but I "need" it just as bad as the next guy. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Free Market (repeat)

As there are a number of people on this thread who seem to think there's a conspiracy against those who want to buy .17 HMR ammo, I reproduce my post from the adjacent thread:

While I am still waiting for my rifle, I have discovered that the ammo supply is still pretty much following a free market economic model, given the fact that there now seem to be plenty of guns (demand) out there. If you go to a gun show or your friendly local operator who happens to have some, it's $10-12 a box. So: I suspect that I can have all I want, even a boxcar load, for $15. Theoretically, it's available at some point for as low as $7.69 a box (Mid-South's price). But most of the places featuring a decent price are on backorder with no definite dates, and Midway told me today that they don't have any, don't expect any in until the end of February, and probably won't be able to fill their existing backorders with what they will get.

Now....ask yourself honestly what YOU would do in the seller's position: sell for a fair profit, say a buck or two a box, or whatever the traffic will bear? It's selling for what it is because people are willing to pay $10+ per box! Since I wrote the above, my rifle has arrived, and I haven't a single round of ammo. What to do? I'll mount the scope and it'll sit in my gun cabinet until my Mid-South order arrives. It's the only way.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Rico1,

It's in my opinion that people will pay "10+ per box" because they have little or no choice. How bad do you want and when ?

-So you buy a .17HMR rifle and you decide to shoot it.

-Order it or buy it from your local retailer ?

-How long do you want to wait to get it ?

-Now or as long as one month ?

-You decide you want it now. SO.

-The "dealer" wants to make an extra buck so he charges a little more. Knowing he will get it....

-People can't go into a place of business and try to negotiate prices it's not the way we do business in the US Of A.

Money=Greed

The public didn't say-

Hey will pay you 10+ a box because we want to spend lots of money. We don't set prices we just pay them.

If everyone stops paying high prices for 17HMR ammo do you really think the price will come down.

I don't !

·
Registered
615 Posts
If a small business man is only getting so much ammo...then by the nature of the business he has to charge more to make a profit. If he were allowed to get unlimited quantities he could sell more of it cheaper and his end of month would be the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Free Market, the continuing story....

Points well taken, Intec Corp and Educator.
I should have perhaps put a "ceteris paribus" in my last post. I am of course in complete ignorance of what is going on in the food chain from the small dealer in local shops and gun shows, back through the distribution chain to the manufacturer.
I am more than willing to concede that there may be other forces (after all, we propose "all other things being equal" to simplify the world around us, which is rarely simple) at work that are boosting the local dealer's prices.
I should have said, "IF there is a free market at work here, all other things being equal-"
Then there's the question of the Big Boys like Wal-Mart. Based on a few things i read here about Wally World, I contacted my local emporium and asked about .17 HRM. The guy (who we shall call Guy #1) said "We don't have it, but you can special order it, if you come in and pay in advance." I drove 15 miles. Guy #1 was gone. Guy #2: "We can't get that at all, won't have any until the CCI hollow point comes out. DEFINITELY no free market at work here....the principle here is "Our regular supplier doesn't carry the Hornady, and since we, Wal-Mart, don't care enough about the customer to find another source, we're gonna make you wait until our regular distributor carries something." {BTW, according to them ?!? that will be around the end of Feb.; hope my Ruger doesn't get too dusty....}

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.