Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm thinking of buying either a hummer or hummer 2. I want to know what you guys think. all of it ammo cost versus performance,wind bucking ability,overall accuracy, ammo availibility, flatness of trajectory in the real world not off some chart that a lab made on a computer,and terminal performance. I'm going with a Savage MK-II FVSS for a rifle. I know cheap gun but I've never had a bad Savage yet. plus I get a whole gun for less than the price of barrel and conversion kit to make a 10/17 and cant even get a magnum to make a hummer.
thanks for your input. keep :snipersmi

nemohunter

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Why live life with only one, buy both :angel:

I have a 17 hm2 barrel here ready to mount one of these days, on the questions

The 17 hm2 is a bit cheaper, but for hunting, that amount of money will not matter much and for plinking either will break you pretty fast (we used to shoot around 1000 rounds a week pistol 22lr Model 41 is what I use) anyways back on subject the 17 hmr is flatter shooting, more energy, and more bullet choice. I use my HMR for crow control, that's black birds this time of the year because some how we got a season on crow :eek: :mad:

If you keep your shots under 100 yards I would say 17 hm2, over 100 yards 17 hmr, but buy both and be happy for sure. In life we can no longer have a bunch of wives, so i say make up for that with guns, BUY BOTH :D

Clint (ps scopes the same way)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
HMR vs HM2

Got a number of each, including a 10/17 Whistle Pig conversion that is finally coming around. I have a Marlin in HMR and HM2 and a Savage in each caliber also. In calm conditions accuracy is just about a toss-up. My Marlin 917M2S is very accurate as is my wife's Savage MkII HM2. The MkII is very light. Both versions of the 17s get beat up badly by the wind. I'm not sure that 400 extra fps makes a lot of difference with 17 gr bullets in a cross wind. I am sure that a HMR causes significant damage on a prairie dog out to 100 yards. I think that's where the extra velocity pays off but we haven't shot anything but paper with the HM2s. Every HMR I am aware of shoots very well. That includes all of mine. I have a Contender, Marlin and Savage bolt guns, a Savage Model 30, and the 10/17. I do know of a couple of HM2s, a bolt gun and a autoloader, that are not accurate by any definition.

DRob

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have both. I started with the HMR. I bought the HM2 for squirrel hunting and fell in love. If you are wanting something universal for targets and everything go with the HMR.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Buy both. :)

But to paraphrase another RFC'er........

If you want to eat it, 17HM2,
If you want to blow it up, 17HMR.

Pretty much sums how I feel about 'em in a nutshell.

So for me,
17HMR = varmints and things I ain't gonna eat
17HM2 = meat hunting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 17 HM2 delivers about 100 ft/lb energy at 80 Yds while the 17 HMR delivers about the same energy at 150 Yds using the 17 Gr. V-MAX bullet. The MV out of the 17 HM2 is 2050 ft/sec and the 17 HMR is 2550 ft/sec. I use the 17 rimfires for shooting prairie dogs.With well placed shots the 17 HM2 is good out to 80 Yds while the 17 HMR is good out to 150 Yds. I have shot P dogs at longer ranges but the bullet lacks energy except for head shots. I shot a few cottontail rabbits last winter with a CZ Varmint 17 HM2 rifle at ranges between 25 and 75 Yds. Hit them in the head if you are going to eat them. The same is true for 17 HMR ,but you,ll be over guned for cottontail rabbits and squirrels. I site the 17 HM2 rifle at 100 Yds and the Cooper 17 HMR rifle at 125 Yds.

·
Registered
526 Posts
In life we can no longer have a bunch of wives, so i say make up for that with guns, BUY BOTH

Clint (ps scopes the same way)

I have to agree with Clint on this one, got to love'it. I do think some still have more than one woman around LOL. I just find that one is more than enough for many reasons. For sure make up the rest with guns and such. Good one Clint

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Thousands of words have been posted on this site with the 17 comparison. Without specifics on what you want to do with it, it's hard to get specific on which would suit your needs best. Both are great but different rounds with different atributes. FWIW, I got a HMR and was so impressed , had to have a M2 :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.