Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an older internet listing about eight months back for an AR upper in 17HMR. Since my wife has "Taken ownership" of my 17 (paid cash actually), I was thinking this might be "interesting". Anyone have one? The upper alone was about $700.

The action was not a blowback, it was more or less like a roller block similar to HK91 or Spanish CETME design.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I actually exchanged a couple emails with Mike Garrow a couple months ago. He said he was working out some details with a machine shop and wanted to be back in the market soon. I still wouldn't mind having one of these myself.

edit: mine is the last post in that thread to which you linked. I emailed him that day from his website which is still up. He responded within the hour. He was hoping to be back in the market in 60-90 days at that point. I'll say it again...I hope he does. I really liked the design he came up with.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think I would go with a 17HM2 like some here have put together..I have not kept up on the thread though, so do not how successful they were..HM2 is not cheap by any means, but 17HMR is higher yet..

I am not against a 17HMR by any means..Just throwing that out..And the HM2 is the one I want to do:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a blow-back design from Alexander Arms and have been completely satisfied with it, both function and accuracy.
Man! I've bee so close to ordering the AA 17HMR upper a few times. I was intrigued by the direct impingement design and resolved to go that route; just too late. We'll see. You have one of the 17HM2 barrels too right? I've been really pleased with mine. That scratched that .17 caliber itch so I'm willing to wait now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why not get a S&W 15-22 and put a 17HM2 barrel on it.
The S&W 15-22 barrels are not as easily swapped as AR15-patterned 22LR barrels for use with CMMG bolts. As far as I'm aware Volquartsen is the only aftermarket barrel maker for the S&W.

There are a few of us on this forum that have Lothar Walther barrels chambered in 17HM2. It's a fun little cartridge but still not a HMR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts