Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Rabbits got into my folks garden last year and cleaned him right out. Today after work, I got home only to find three rabbits in the grass just outside the fence around my dad's garden. Went into the house and pulled out the .17, slipped three rounds into the clip and went back outside and took the three of them at 55+ yards using a tree as a rest. Let me say this, those Hornady's sure do make one heck of a mess out of a rabbit!! So it look's like his garden will be in good shape!! :D

· Registered
6,342 Posts
Most recent Guns & Ammo hade a letter to the editor responding to a previous 17 article. Apparently the 17 was taken to Africia and used on safari. The writer asked that "a rat gun NOT be used on big game."

Good advice

· Registered
740 Posts
langenc said:
Most recent Guns & Ammo hade a letter to the editor responding to a previous 17 article. Apparently the 17 was taken to Africia and used on safari. The writer asked that "a rat gun NOT be used on big game."

Good advice
Um, that was the .204 Centerfire he wrote about...

Eric A. Mayer :cool:

· Registered
2,923 Posts
Several squirrels last year--all under 50 yards.
Damage is usually---uuhhhhhhh---severe would be a good word. :D

· Registered
7,319 Posts
LOTS of tree squirrels last season, some 100 and +yard head shots. Also, one big feral dog that had been creating some trouble. A few cottontails have fallen to the .17, usually under 100 yards distance. I only shoot a rabbit or two on the way back to my truck while squirrel hunting. I don't like packing the extra weight. I have a fella that wants me to clean out some muskrats from his farm pond, along with some groundhogs on his place. I haven't been able to get out there yet. I am going to try some of my 20gr on the pasture poodles. Back to the squirrels, I use 17gr V-Max and only head shoot them. Our tree rat season opens Sept.1, SO FAR AWAY!

· Registered
43 Posts
ive shot coyotes with it but i prefer to keep it to about 75yrds and under ive heard pple talk about chest shots bit o go for the base of ther neck with the explosiveness of this round your assured youll hit all the arteries and the air pipe ive heard other pple say head shots but the skull is just about the hardest bone in the body and ive seen a person shot in the head with a 22mag at like 10 yrds and it hit the skull andwent off to the side so unless im sure i can get it in the eye socket neck shot
i put a 17 inna 20lb neutra rat at bout 50 yrds right in the eye the other side of his head from the eye it entered to other side was GONE POOF
many pple find that on prairie dogs and squirrels it has a "redmist" affect wich i think is awsome but it is not a big game gun i wouldnt suggest any thing over fox size unless your absolutly sure of your own shootin and the range is apropriet

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great stuff! I have not shot a thing yet. Just got it recently. Up here in Canada we have Black, Grey and Red squirrels, Groundhogs, Muskrats, Coyote, Crows, Beavers. Will try upon opening of hunting season, September.
Mannie

· Registered
271 Posts
Last year got about 1,500 prairie dogs with a Cooper LVT 17 HMR rifle ,4.5-14 X scope using Hornady 17 Gr. V-MAX rounds. Shots were between 25 -180 Yds.At 180 Yds the bullet will cause a small hole going and out of the P dog.At 25 Yds a lot of splatter factor. This year I use a 17 HM2 rifle for shots from 25 Yds to 80 Yds ,use the 17 HMR rifle for over 80 Yds up to 150 Yds then switch to a centerfire varmint rifle for shots over 150 Yds. The 17 rimefires are more fun to shoot than my 22 LR and 22WMR rifles so I,v not taken them out this year. Shot about 500 P dogs this year with the 17 s .

· Registered
452 Posts
3 of us just got back from a P Dog trip and shot several with the 17's. Ranges from just over 100 out to a long of 367. Most were taken from 180 to 275. Myself, I shot mostly 225 plus with my 17. But after one of our 17's quit working (a Marlin 917 VS) I had to loan my 17 to him and did not get to shoot it much more. Trip was to western Kansas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.