Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

17HM2 Revolver

2137 28
Does anyone know of any company making revolvers in 17HM2? I have seen a taurus model but it only has a 1.75 inch barrel. :( I see they also make a tracker in 17HMR but would assume you would have the same problems shooting HM2 out of a HMR cylinder as 22LR in a 22mag cylinder.
thanks
Jim
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
I bought the Kimber .17hm2 conversion and it works very well. Also had a Taurus Tracker in a .17hmr and loved it but it turned rabbits into jelly and barely edible with what was left. Have had no problems with either one.

· Registered
1,826 Posts
At the very bottom, a very nice Freedom Arms with both 17 HMR and 17 HM2 cylinders.

http://www.freedomarms.com/stock.pdf

Also the home page http://www.freedomarms.com/
I must say $2000 is a little much for a plinker.:eek:

When I call S&W PC Monday about having some work done on my 610-3, I will ask about the posibility of them making a HM2 cylinder. If they will, I will send the 647 in for the upgrade. They did it for the M48 K-22 MRF and I have one, would love to shoot the cheaper ammo in the 647 like I doing in the model 48 currently.

· Registered
926 Posts
brownells

catalog #58 lists a conversion barrel and cylinder for 100.00 for cylinder , 69.58 for barrel . part#850-000-014 for cylinder , 850-000-016 for barrel , find a used single six for a decent price and you got it . Kenneth

· Registered
1,826 Posts
catalog #58 lists a conversion barrel and cylinder for 100.00 for cylinder , 69.58 for barrel . part#850-000-014 for cylinder , 850-000-016 for barrel , find a used single six for a decent price and you got it . Kenneth
So pay $1000 to $1200 for a used gun plus another $175 to make it a plinker???? :eek:

I may be crazy, but stupid I'm not. ;)

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Saw a single-six in 17HMR w/5" barrel at a gun show last weekend. Guy wanted $325 for it which probably wasn't a bad price, but that particular one was marked strictly for 17HMR. I asked him about a Mach2 cylinder for it but he said he didn't know of one. Also said he'd not see a convertible HMR/HM2 model in at least a couple of years. Think it's been about that long since I saw one NIB but at that time I wasn't willin' to pay almost $400 for it. I'd probably jump on it now but chances of finding such again are poor at best :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,276 Posts
North American Arms made one in Mach 2 for a while. They had problems with it and their HMR models, and quit making them. They said the shells were driving back into the frame and jamming the gun.

Try looking for it. Probably still NIB.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update, I emailed Ruger about a HM2 cylinder for their Singel Six and here is the response:

We did produce this convertable model but it has since been discontinued. We no longer have the Mach II cylinders.
:(

On the Brownells HM2 cylinder, if you have a HMR single six would you have to replace the barrel? How much work is involed in changing out the cylinder?

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Just an update, I emailed Ruger about a HM2 cylinder for their Singel Six and here is the response:

We did produce this convertable model but it has since been discontinued. We no longer have the Mach II cylinders.
:(

On the Brownells HM2 cylinder, if you have a HMR single six would you have to replace the barrel? How much work is involed in changing out the cylinder?
No, they are same caliber. No more then the other convertable models. Just pull cylinder pin out and out comes cylinder. Reverse it for the new cylinder.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

I found a single six in HMR at the gun show today.:) Put an order into brownells for the mach2 cylinder.:D Should be here in a week and then I guess we will see how it goes. Does anyone know how you check the alignment and timing on a revolver? I should be able to just pop it in the frame and go right?

· Registered
1,826 Posts
I found a single six in HMR at the gun show today.:) Put an order into brownells for the mach2 cylinder.:D Should be here in a week and then I guess we will see how it goes. Does anyone know how you check the alignment and timing on a revolver? I should be able to just pop it in the frame and go right?
It should from what I have seen a time or two in past.

I finally traded my HMR off and got a NIM Browning A Bolt in 222 Remington caliber and with the 8 boxes of ammo I got a 6x24x40 AO Barska to go with the rifle. I only had about $50 in the ammo so I made out all around.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.