Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a case of the rimfire bug! I have purchased a few .22s rifles lateley and am about to add a few more, mostly a second 10/22, a savage LV and romanian trainer for Iorn sight work. I am thinking now this may be a mistake. I know the ammo is more expensive and hard to get for the .17hmr,.....but is it the price a law of supply and demand?......... I am guessing there is no more expense in the mfg. of 17 over 22 once the companies get produuction up and prices will be compairable. If im wrong, then I guess I have part of my answer. As I have read and understand, the .17 is superior in accuracy, range, and more huntable on small critters. If ammo may be the same price, or close to the same in the next few years, Why buy .22. I dont compete and If I do, then I would buy a 22 match rifle for orginized comp, but mostly I like accurate recreational shooters to take to the range and in the field. Can some of you explain the pros and cons of the two and help me make my decision. I plan to buy a .17 eventually, but dont want to build my rimfire collection around .22 if .17 is so much better. If the 17 is about the same price to shoot, more accurate with longer range, then I know I my .22s will be left home more often than not.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
spam4einstein,

The cost of manufacture of the .17HMR is essentially the same as a premium .22 WMR cartridge, and I doubt it will ever go lower than that...! ! :(

The .22LR utilizes a swaged, heel seated, pure lead bullet, and is the cheapest to manufacture. Both the .17 HMR and the .22 WMR utilize jacketed bullets, which are considerably more costly to produce.

So, if you are comparing the .22LR to the .22 WMR or .17 HMR, you are looking at a differential in cost of about 6X or more...! !

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
With the similarity between the .17 and the .22 mag i doubt that the price of the .17 will ever go below 6.50 for a box of 50 rounds. Like bigmike said it is the difference in being jacketed and non jacketed, and much better quality control over the bulk pack type ammo. I would continue with your plans to go with the .22 lr type cartridge but pick up a .22 mag and then you can go between the mag and the .17 with a barrel swap (careful choice of gun is required here) and then you will have the option of all 3 cartridges.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gotta have a .17

As usual, Big Mike quickly did a great job on the reply. Each of those cute little Hornady .17 bullets is a precision assemblage of jacket, lead core, and snazzy little plastic do-hickey. No way will that ever be as cheap as the little hunks of lead stuck in .22 lr. Also, the consistency of the .17HMR rounds is well above the bottom range .22 lr. I'm not saying the cases, priming, and powder charge are all Wolf Match Target quality, but they are lot closer to that than to Remington Bulk Pack:p

I got a Contender Carbine barrel to try the Hummer. Liked it so much that I started dreaming about getting a Cooper. Found a CZ 452 American Sporter in my local Ace Hardware gun shop. I've already done the Brookie replacement trigger spring, so now the Cooper can wait. I also had to take advantage of ChiefDave's 10/17 barrel offer, so now I'm looking for a 10/22Mag receiver so that I can have a Click-Clack Hummer. I still have my other 10/22's, a Remington 540-X, and even a collection of old Winchester 52s I inherited from my Dad to keep the good old .22lr covered. In other words, despite a nice range of sweet .22's, I wouldn't want to be without the .17HMR.

Someone joked that the .17HMR appeals to those with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and there might be a bit of truth to that. Anyone that gets excited about putting little, tiny holes in far away paper and not having to pick up brass, just has to love the Hummer.

No kick/Shoots Great !
You don't know what you're missing if you don't join the little bullet people. (just ask the snapping turtles in my tank)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Instead

of buying a bunch of cheap .22LR guns get one or two good ones. Anschutz 1710D for all around use or a Cooper, if you like bolt actions. Get a Volquartsen if you like semi-auto.
You'll be happier in the long run with just one awesome gun that is super accurate.

That being said, I think there is a place for all the rimfires.

I have a .17HMR in an Anschutz 1717D, and it is totally awesome. Great out to 175 yards for ground squirrels. Very accurateand good looking too.

In the interest of taking my own advice, I'm ordering a Cooper .22LR in Western Classic. Getting rid of 2 10/22s. After owning the Anschutz, I really don't want any cheap guns around that have to be tweaked forever to get to shoot right. Even after spending a lot of money on them what do you have? A cheap gun that has been tweaked. Not much resale, nor is it any sort of heirloom.

Next year I'm getting a Volquartsen Signature in .22 Mag. This is good for close range varmint or predator hunting.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey mrmarklin

I was kinda thinking the same thing today. I may hold off on the LV and get that .17 insted. Your right about getting one high quality one rather than a few lesser ones. Its so fun playing with new toys though!
The 10/22s are a different animal altogether, kind of like building models, thay satisfy my need tinker.

Thanks for the answers I needed guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.