Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a state if confusion. I will be hunting the following:squirrels, rabbits, *****, possums, foxes, yotes and everything between. It will basicly be an all-around ranch rifle. Whatever I see that I feel like shooting is going down.

In addition. Add what model you prefer with the caliber.

Allways shootin`
Rancher

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rancher: I assume you are talking about a 22 Mag because the 17 mag and a 22lr are not even in the same league. Either of those calibers would be ok for the small game but when you get into the larger game such as the ***** and yotes...you are getting a bit on the light side. Remember the 17 mag shoots a 17 grain bullet, that is pretty light to make a clean kill on the larger animals. Not to say you can't kill them but no one wants to make an animal suffer. I would suggest a minimum of something like the 22 Hornet in centerfire or the ever popular .223 as previously suggested. A major factor of those is ammunition is available all the way from 35 grain to 50 for the Hornet and up to 60 or so for the .223 in normal twist. This gives you a much greater ability to choose a load for the job. The Hornet is available from many major manufactures and the .223 is probably the most popular caliber sold other than a 22lr. You might look at the Savage line in the .223...they have the reputation of being one of the most accurate "out of the box" rifles made and they are very reasonably priced. Unfortunately, there simply isn't a "universal" caliber made...when you want to use it on a variety of targets ranging from tiny ground squirrels to 30 and 40 pound ***** and yotes, there will always be a compromise. Good hunting!

·
Registered
61 Posts
17HMR or 22Mag

If you plan on doing a lot of shooting at close range then the 22mag. Cost of shells. If you want longer range I would go with the 17. I've killed sevral different critters with the 17 and is flat amazed at what it can do. Crows at 200yds =/- squirrel head shots at just over 100yds ***** and oppossums are no problem for the 17hmr. As for yotes, I havent had the chance at one but would expect it to run after hit in the ribs.
The 22 hornet is a good suggestion for a ranch rifle.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I dont think one gun will do everything you are trying to do. The yotes is what messes things up, and the next question is do you want it to be edible afterwards. You can do foxes, groundhogs, possums, and that size critter with a .22 mag. If you dont care if it is edible after wards go ahead and hit a squirrel or rabbit, but a mag will tear up a rabit or squirrel. From what i hear a coyote is to big for a rimfire in general and i would recommend your deer rifle.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
If you insist on going rimfire I would say you have to go with the 22 Mag due to the coyotes. The hummers are accurate as can be but a 17 grain bullet is a little light in my opinion. Best bet would be going centerfire and use a .223!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think a 22 Mag would do everything you want, as long as you kept the range to 50 yards or less on the coyotes.

For everything else you'l end up with edible meat if you take head shots, and useable pelts. Your pelts night not necessarily be saleable, the fur buyers are getting tougher every year on quality and I doubt seriously if you could even sell a **** pelt with the kind of damage you'd get from a 22 Mag.

The 17HMR really isn't the caliber for you I don't think. No doubt it would work well, maybe extend your range, on the first four animals on your list. I'd just have a hard time recommending it over the 22 Mag on foxes or at all on coyotes.

Despite all the .223 recommendations I'm not sure you'd end up with a squirrel that you would want to eat, definitely not if you hit it anywhere other than square in the head. At ranges under 100 yards the damage would be significant enough on the smaller game to render the pelt completely useless as well. It (or a 222) would be a better choise if you just want to kill things and don't care about their condition afterward.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I doubt seriously if you could even sell a **** pelt with the kind of damage you'd get from a 22 Mag.
Have to differ here. Hunted yotes, bob cats, ***** for years with a 22 mag. Hand calling and spot lighting. Never had a pelt that I could not sell. Bullets went in and did not come out. Bob cats and coyotes were head shots or shots entering the chest and going into the body full length. If you did create a hole, after skinning you turn the pelt inside out and sew it closed. Always got top money for the pelts. But again........shot placement.......that is what hunting is all about.........quick kills..........no suffering.

:t

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
The majority of the reasoning behind recomending going with .223 over a rimfire is for the coyote and fox and longer distances. If you think that every shot will be less than 50 yards by all means stay with the rimfires, of course I never knew anyone who knew exactly what range they would be shooting at every time. I'd rather have a little too much than not enough.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your question is too open-ended for a real answer. No one rimfire caliber is good for all of these varmints at all ranges. Hence, a .223 can cover all bases. But it is a centerfire.

For ranges up to 100 yds, go with a .22 Magnum.
For small varmints (not 'yote or fox etc.) go with the .17 HMR for all ranges to 150 yards.
If you know all your shots will be short, 50 yds or less, you can probably get by with a .22LR.

Of course, one never knows what animal will be where, which is why most of us own more than one gun!!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!

I actually take two guns when varmint hunting. A .17HMR for small varmints out to 150 yards, and a .223 back in the Jeep for everything else. The .17HMR is my primary gun. If I think I can get an opportunity to shoot or call a large varmint, then I use the .223.
You wanted brands:
My .17 HMR is an Anschutz 1717D Meistergrade with a Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 scope.
The .223 is a Ruger #1 heavy barrel varmint rifle with a 12x fixed power Leupold Scope.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think a good balance would be a .22 hornet or a .222 if you can only afford one gun.

I use my Bolt .243 for EVERYTHING except squirels and rabbits. It's my deer and large varmint rifle.

My newly acquired 10/22 will replace my mossberg .22 as my squirrel and rabiit gun. Rabbits are just more fun w/ a .22

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.