Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

.17 Hmr

937 4
My local dealer has 2 14 inch .17HMR bull barrels he is selling for $200 each. I'm thinking about buying one for squirrel hunting, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with them yet. Like I said squirrel hunting would be the only use for it so if the .22 bull barrels shoot close to as well I will just order 1 of them for $25 less and also save on the amo.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Those are new 17HMR barrels? Hunter's Den in Indy wanted $249 for a 17 HMR which was way over priced. Have not heard too much on how good the 17HMR Contender barrels shoot. But you can't go wrong with a 22lr barrel - I have 2 and both are extremely accurate.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well $200 is what I was quoted by the owner and he usualy gives me a little of a break because of who I am. I dispatch for the local police and fire department and he is the Fire Chief in the next town over so that helps a lot when I go in there. Also I've delt with the guys at Hunters Den when I lived in Greenwod and his prices are a lot better than thiers on just about everything. There are a few items that they can beat his deals on but not many and not by much when it actualy happens. I am kinda leaning towards the .22 because it is so much cheaper to shoot if you don't use match grade amo., but if the .17 is a lot more acurate it might be worth the extra money so I don't know what I'm going to do yet.

· Registered
760 Posts
TC accuracy

I don't think it's a matter of accuracy between the .22 and .17.
I think what makes the real difference is how much fun holding over is in the second seventy five yards. If you're a good shot and the TC is zeroed they will either do well for the first 75 yds but the 17 shoots enough faster and flatter that you see the difference between 75 and 150yds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.