Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 647 will be available, initially at least, with a 6" barrel only.

When I e-mailed S&W in late Dec. about this model, they told me to check back in about a month.

Hey! It's almost been a month.
I'm excited for this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PlumberjimC-

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just found a full lugged model 17 which is what the 647(47?) should, IMHO, be.

But I'll make do with stainless if it ever arrives.:)

Hopefully the price of ammo will decrease with more manufacturers producing this round.

I just wish it'd come in 8"

·
Registered
631 Posts
sevenshot,

Did S&W say that the intiial barrel length of the 647 would be 6"? The info in the gun rags has said 8" which I much prefer for this round. Although I must admit my 6" 648 is a gem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the 6" info from the Jan. issue of Guns & Ammo. Since the new 648 is only 6' also, it made sense to me that the 647 would be the same.

When I asked for details on the 647, S&W replied:

"Hi,
This handgun will be available sometime early next year. No details at
this
time
Check back in about a month
thanks
kf"

This was 12/26, so I'll check again this week.

I'd prefer 8" , especially, as you said, for this round.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The S&W M647 is just hitting the market. I just ordered mine today and should be able to pick it up on Tuesday.

I decided to get mine early because I have a feeling this revolver will not be in the catalog for very long. While the .17 HMR is drawing a lot of attention in rifles, I suspect there will be very few .17 HMR revolver shooters. I remember how long the M648 was out of production, and I do not want to wait that long again.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I got a look at one before I bought my 648-2. The new extraction system seems to work fine, I have zero problems with my 648 (which has the same system). They pop out easily, the chambers are extremely smooth.

I tend to agree with you, this may be a short term issue. I can say that I am very pleased with the new 648-2 (and I've owned S&W's since 1971). More accurate than any .22 Magnum revolver I've owned.

The first run of these revolvers may be special, the fit and finish is as good or better than any I've seen. I will say that the 647 is one heavy handgun. It has a target type hammer and smooth target trigger. The trigger on the one I perused was very good. Those little bitty holes look funny!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been considering one. A local shop called me to let me know they had one avilable (ordered for a customer who decided he didn't want it). It seems really muzzle heavy; moreso than my 8-3/8" 617. I'm torn between spending the $525 on the 647 or $725 on a used (1 week) Performance Center 627-8.

Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
631 Posts
I expect that the 647 will be extremely muzzle heavy since it has such a small bore and a long full lug barrel. My guess is this will be one revolver hard to shoot off-hand. From a rest, it should be a delight to shoot since all of the weight out toward the muzzle should reduce the amount of muzzle flip.

Due to the configuration of the revolver and the cost of the ammo, I suspect these will only be bought by aficionados. After all, the .17 HMR is not really a plinking round, the ammo is a bit hard to find, and the cost of the ammo will drive away casual shooters. I am actually surprised (and quite happy) S&W brought the 647 to market.

But for me, I think the 647 will make a great companion to a T/C Contender carbine in .17 HMR.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
At 52.5 ounces, it's heavy. Not as heavy as the Freedom Arms 252 (59 ounces with a 7.5" barrel) I owned.

The weight really shouldn't be a big deal, especially off a rest or shooting sticks. The revolver shouldn't have any recoil. Hope you enjoy it. I wonder what velocities it will achieve?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.