Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this somewhere else first, should of posted it here in the first place...

I own a Savage 93R17 BVSS http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
I need to keep this rifle very clean to get any type of consistency out of it, and even then I am not impressed with the group sizes. 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. I tried a bipod but it was more accurate off of a front bag.

At 50 yards off of bags my Savage MK II G http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ is more than twice as accurate as the .17 I clean the .22 a few times a year, it takes a few shots to settle down after cleaning but with Wolf target ammo I can get consistent groups of 5 with all shots touching. The .17 is .75 inch groups at 50 yards at best.

I also have a Savage 93 BRJ .22 WMR http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ that gets sub 1 inch groups with regular consistently at 100 yards off of bipod, it is virtually the same gun in a different caliber.

I have switched scopes off of the .17 and it has not helped.
The muzzle crown of the .17 looks perfect.

Is .17 harder to keep consistent than other calibers?

What can I do to the .17 cal to make it more accurate?

Am I expecting too much from the .17?

·
Registered
192 Posts
How many ammos have you tried? My 93 shoots about 12MOA with remington ammo, and .5MOA with Hornady.

Those are the only two I've tried but I've heard that 17s are REAL finicky about which ammo they like...which my rifle has proven I think lol.

Try some different ammo. You should be able to shoot dimes at 100yds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Right sorry 17 and 20 is correct. I find it amazing the bullets are so small and light that I keep raising the weight in my mind.

The gun shoots the 17 grains Hornaday the best. I have not tried the 15.5 grains.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Just checked the torque of the receiver ti the stock and it was a little tight. It is now set to factory 15 inch pounds.

I tried so slip a piece of paper all the way up between the barrel and stock. I only made it half way. Is that a problem? Should I open up the stock just a little more?

·
Registered
123 Posts
savage 93 inaccuracy

Read an article on how to clean a copper fouled barrel. My 17HM2 fouls in about 15 shots and loses accuracy immediately. A meticulous cleaning for copper fouling fixes this and its back to one hole groups. Remember, you are shooting a jacketed bullet at a high velocity. I'll bet this makes it much better. I use Montana Extreme in my 17 calibers and it works very well. Research it and I think you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
seems like your on the right track, id deffinately free float the barrel the rest of the way mine was touching on my 17 too, but i sanded it out befor i shot it so i dont know if it helped or not. the only other thing i did to it was polish the bolt with some 1200 then 1500 then 2000 grit wet to dry sandpaper it was pretty rough befor. Mine shoots consistent sub moa groups at 100yds.

Id keep playing with the torque settings and see if it helps. I have a cheap marlin 795 that will only hold tight groups if the action screws are so loose is almost falls out of the stock. Most 17s seem to be sub moa capable out of the box, another thing to think about is rounds fired. Mine seemed to settle down a bit more after i had about 250 rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
40,033 Posts
Clean it really well and keep shooting. I've got a few 17, both M2 and HMR, and while they were good shooters from the start, after 200-300 rounds, I noticed improvement in group size and I also could shoot longer between thorough cleanings.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have tried about every ammo offering in my Savage 93 with the exception of the 15.5gr loadings. The most accurate 17gr was the Remington Accu-tip boat tail. Hornady 17gr was pretty close though. The most accurate 20gr was the CCI FMJ followed closely by Winchester's 20gr. I can shoot sixteen 5-shot 1.1" groups, measured *edge-to-edge* on *average* at 100 yards with a 14x scope and bipod. My best groups have been under 0.5" edge-to-edge. I am a novice shooter as well.

As far as being 'finicky' about ammo, my rifle is not that picky; it has a favorite ammo which is CCI 20gr FMJ, but the Remington 17gr shoots almost as well and the Hornady 17gr and Winchester 20gr loads are close too. They all will average 1.2" 5-shot groups in my gun, again edge-to-edge, average over 10-16 groupings.

I clean my gun lightly after every 200-300 rounds. I do notice that it takes about 10 shots to 'season' the barrel to get max accuracy. I do not notice a major fall-off in accuracy or precision within my cleaning intervals. I do notice a difference when switching loadings without cleaning; the POI will change and it will take about 5-10 rounds to 'settle in' to the new loading.

Make sure you can rule out all other variables, such as rings/bases. The bases on my gun got lose after about the first 1000 rounds. Make sure the barrel is floated. These guns are pretty darn good from the factory.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You got a lemon, it should shoot a LOT better than that. Sell it for a loss and buy a new one. It's not worth your time to "try" to fix, nor is it worth your money. A brand new 17hmr rifle is fairly inexpensive. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I doubt very much that you got a bad one. Again, I can not emphasize how much ammo plays a factor in .17HMR. It may come down to it likes ONE ammo, and that's it.

Mine shoots best with CCI TNT 17grain hollow points. It is almost as good with the Federal TNTs, but not quite. Anything else and it looks like I was patterning my shotguns. I encourage you to try ALL the available ammo in your rifle, to find what it likes the best. Also, get a .17HMR bore snake and run it through the rifle ever 50 rounds or so.

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found that the barrel was not free floating, it was hitting about half way back on the stock. Also the screws where torqued way too much. I sanded the stock and brought the torque back to factory 15 inch pounds, to start. I shot on a a windy day last weekend and it out shot the 93 BRJ 22 WMR so that is a positive sign. The weather here has been very windy so I will try it again when it settles down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.