Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need info from 1517 owners. What kind of groups are you getting? Also any tips on increasing accuracy would be appreciated. I am currently getting groups over 1" at 100 yds.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does your scope have an adjustable objective? You can expect +/- half an inch vertical and horizontally if you can't adjust for paralax. Most scopes are focused from 100 to 150 yards without AO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordie1,

I have limited experience w/ 17HMR, but know a little bit about the Anschutz. I have a 1517D MPR in the box (yet to be fired by me).

The Hornady 17HMR is sub-MOA (100yds) by design. If you had a box of ammo that all 50 rounds were within specs then they would all be capable to shoot sub-MOA.

Though the 1517 is a sporting rifle, if it is within specs it is capable to shoot sub-MOA (100yds). The number of rounds you can shoot in that group 3, 4, 5, 10 shot groups etc. depend a lot on your barrel. Examples, light sporter barrels tend to change POI as they heat up. Copper fouling build up tends to effect POI.

Your 1517 came from factory w/ stock removed from barreled action. It is always possible that your action is not properly seated in the stock. Your action screws should be snug. Most people find the sweet spot when they are torqued somewhere between 30 and 60 inch-pounds (depending on bare wood, bedding material or pillar bedding).

Your chamber, rifling and crown should be sufficient if within specs. The Anschutz barrel should only require minimum break in to burnish. As long as you haven't rounded the edge of the rifling or damaged the crown it should shoot well.

Even if the factory trigger was not perfectly adjusted to your personal preference, as long as it is within out of the door factory specs it should break well.

Your mounts/rings and scope are critical. The perfect rifle will shoot like junk if it had junk sights. Mounts need to be solid and square with the receiver.

You need to be a sub-MOA shooter. It is rare to meet the person who can outshoot a match rifle. Though parallax is important, if you are consistent w/ your hold, stock/spot weld, eye releif and look straight thru the scope opening then parallax from shooting a 150 yard scope at 100 yards should not effect you in getting sub-MOA. It would definitely effect you if you are not consistent.

Good Luck, hope you get something from this babble.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I also have a 1517 D HB and have been getting excellent groups from mine (.35 avg at 50 yds and .75 avg at 100 yds based on 10 3 shot groups). Occasionally, when my groups open up I am the cause and not the rifle.
As was stated before, your scope may be the problem. Good glass is as vital to accuracy as the rifle and ammo. I topped my Anschutz with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44 AO and am extremely pleased with this combo. Now the only thing I can blame my accuracy problems on is myself.
One other thing to consider is your scope mounts. The best setup I have seen for the 1517 are the Redfield bases (SR 153) and matching rings which I am now using. They are available at Champion Shooters Supply.
In addition, spend some time adjusting the trigger until you find the best setup for you. I adjusted mine to where it now has a single stage break with zero creep and is as smooth as glass.
As was stated earlier, you must be capable of shooting a sub 1 inch group at 100 yds which is not as easy as most would lead you to believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.