Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

144 Question

339 5
I have a very nice Mossberg 144, and it is marked 144, not 144LS, etc. However it has a round bolt handle that is double banded. It shoots superbly. Is it possible that the bolt is from a later model 144 like the LS, LS-A or LS-B? It came with a S-130 sight and it appears like it has never been removed.

Craig in Tennessee
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
The bolt has been swapped, it should have the T bolt handle.

The S-130 sight is correct for a 144.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
As far as I know all Model 144 (no letters) rifles came with the handle and T knob.

The 144 was made from 1950-1954.

The flat bolt handle with the ball that has two raised rings started in 1955 with the 144LS.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see a listing for 144 bolt handles on Havlin's or Numrich's website, which doesn't surprise me.

1. Anyone have an inkling where there might be a salvage 144 T-bolt handle or the entire bolt with handle?
2. Were there changes to the bolt itself that would preclude me swapping out my 144LS bolt handle with a 144 T-bolt handle?

This 144 shoots very very well and if I have to live with a 144LS bolt handle to shoot it accurately so be it, but I would like to have this near original if possible. Maybe a whole 144 bolt with handle would be better, I dunno.

Anyway I have enough to keep me busy rehabbing a 51M. Hope I get it to shoot as nice as my 151M.

Craig in Tennessee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.