Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about putting a scope on a 1413 super match. I do have 11mm rings that fit very well. When I put a scope on it, it does not feel natural off the bench. One guy at the range said that those guns were NEVER meant to be scoped.That they were meant to be used with sights. Am I doing something wrong? Was the guy at the range right? Is there a way to use this rifle with a scope? Let me know what You think. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Scopes on an Anschutz?

A LOT of Anschutz rifles are used in BenchRest Match competitions. And: There ain't no iron sight matches in sanctioned benchrest events.

That 11mm spacing on the receiver is used for irons, but the BKL rings work great on them.

Of course when the M-54 action was designed after WWII, the Germans intended it for use in Olympic competition which allows only iron sights.

But: When in America, do as the American do.

Well: Some of us shoot benchrest anyway. And we use high power scopes.

I have two Anschutz rifles and two Suhls One of each is set up with Weaver 36X scopes and McMillan stocks. The other two still have the wood stocks and still have the irons.

Joe :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
What does not fee natural? My guess is that it is head position and eye relief. Unless you have an adjustable cheek piece and the ability to move the scope to achieve the optimum eye relief, it won't feel comfortable. I was shooting my 2007/2013 from the bench the other day with the scope set up for the prone position. I found that it required a totally different setup off of the bench.
Al

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1413 with a scope

My rifle is a 1413 supermatch with adjustable cheek and stock. I have rings from championshooters that work well. Now , the stock WAS designed for 3 position shooting. Do You think It will also work for shooting off the bench, or does the gun need to be restocked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First of all no the 1413 SUPER MATCH was not meant to be scoped as the front part of the action was nor dovetailed and mine still isn`t, you can have them machined but i decided not to and mounted the front scope mount onto one of the dovetails screwed to the barrel. This dovetail is not the same hight as the action so i used mismatched mounts and thin alloy shims to fix the problem.
I don`t think there were a great deal of the SUPER MATCH rifles made i have been useing mine in benchrest comp now for a few years and won state and National medals with it mind you i have it in a hand made stock as the original stock with all adjustments and but hook etc made it 16lbs. :Blasting_

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think that the statements that the 1413 was not meant to be scoped are partially correct. Yes, the early 1413's were only grooved to the rear of the loading port. Later 1413's had the groove on both sides of the loading port (I actually had one like this). When the first 1413's came out, the prevalent target scopes were the Unertl's, Lyman's, and Redfield 3200, etc. These were barrel mounted scopes. There were not a lot of reciever mounted target scopes (as opposed to hunting scopes) available. A solution to the one sided groove problem would be to use the BKL 253 or 254 mount. They are very robust and should do the job quite well.
Al

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Most likely it's the shape of the stock.. and yes, they were (and are still) designed to be used with iron sights, predominantly. The 11mm groove was originally for the sights - the anschutz sights still use the 11mm groove. They did add the grooves in front of the loading port later on for receiver mounted scopes, though. My 1963 Supermatch has only the rear portion of the receiver grooved, and I believe my 1970 1411 has the grooves fore and aft.

Perhaps your rest / bags were holding the rifle too high or too low for you to be comfortable, too?

From what I gather reading about benchrest (I don't compete), lots of Anschutz rifles / actions get used, but for the most part they're in honest to goodness benchrest style stocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.